Are you looking for a strip-cut shredder you can use throughout the day without needing to get up from your desk? If so, the GBC ShredMaster GSS208 just might be the right shredder for you. Check out its strengths and weaknesses:
- The GSS208 can shred up to 22 sheets at a time which is terrific for a smaller shredder. This machine's cutters are pretty durable so they will be able to take care of some non-paper items such as CD's, DVD's, and credit/debit cards. They can also take care of stapled documents. No matter what you're shredding, the machine will operate quietly so you won't disturb your co-workers.
- This machine can shred non-stop for up to 20 minutes which will come in handy on those days when you have a lot of shredding to do. After the 20 minutes has passed, you need to let the machine rest for 10 before you can shred any more.
- The GSS208 has an 8-gallon waste bin, so it's suitable for shared use by 2 to 5 people. (It's also great for personal use.) This shredder has a “bin full” indicator, so you will always know when it's time to get rid of your shreds.
- The machine is small enough to fit almost anywhere so it's a good choice if you have limited space in your work area. Its dimensions are 22” (height) x 17” (width) x 13” (depth) so you can easily store it under your desk.
- Although this shredder doesn't have an automatic oiler, it's easy to maintain. Just dribble some shredder oil in the feed opening, shred a piece of paper, and run the machine in reverse for a minute. It doesn't get much easier than that.
- Finally, the GSS208's cutters are backed by a lifetime warranty. The machine as a whole is covered for 2 years.
- Since the GSS208 is a strip-cut shredder, it has a Level 2 security rating. This isn't a particularly high rating, so that makes this machine best for shredding documents that don't contain highly classified information. The shreds produced will be 0.25” wide.
- Your plastic and paper shreds will be mixed together since this shredder only has 1 waste bin. This could make recycling difficult depending on your local recycling rules.
- Since this shredder is small, it's not suitable for departmental use.
The GBC ShredMaster GSS208 is a solid little strip-cut shredder that is suitable for use at home or in the office. This machine offers a terrific shredding capacity and it can even destroy items like credit cards, CD's, and DVD's. Since it can process stapled documents, you will be able to save time which is always a plus. Also, this shredder is compact so you can keep it near your desk for quick and easy access. Although this device does have a couple of weaknesses, they shouldn't be too much of an issue if you just need a basic shredder for everyday document disposal. If that's the case, check out the GSS208 today.