- High capacity trimmer that cuts matboard!
- Cuts up to 30 sheets of paper at a time
- Self-sharpening blade cuts in either direction
- 1/8" Thick blade is made of ground steel and encased in a plastic housing for safety
- Automatic paper clamp holds work securely
- Inch and metric measurements with metric sizing grid for precise cuts
- Sturdy metal base will not warp or crack
- Thick walled aluminum guide rod
- Adjustable backstop fits on either side
- Can be wall mounted
- Optional floor stands available (446 & 448 only)
- Cutting Length: 14 1/8"
- Cutting Capacity: 30 sheets
- Dimensions: 22" x 15"
- Part Number: 440
- Warranty: Lifetime Limited Manufacturer Warranty
- UPC Code: 76769440005
Reviewed on 7/7/2016
I recently purchased this cutter and used it on occasions. I love the fact that the cutter can go through 3 sheets of 80 lbs cardstocks which is more than I can cut with my fiskars. It is still in the early stage, as I am figuring out the cutting/measurements. Otherwise, a great cutter.
Grading the Dahle 440 Premium Rolling Trimmer
When it comes to paper cutting tools, Dahle is a great name to see. The German-based company makes a number of great cutters, including their 440 Premium Rolling Trimmer. Here’s what you need to know about it, including the grade it deserves.
- The Dahle 440 has a cutting length of 14 inches. It’s the perfect length for documents that are both legal- and letter-sized. (The dimensions for those documents are 8.5” x 14” and 8.5” x 11”.) You can also use it to cut smaller items if you want as well as thicker material such as mat board.
- This trimmer can cut up to 30 sheets of paper in just one swipe. A 30-sheet cutting capacity is pretty good for a rotary trimmer and it will help you process more paper in a short period of time.
- Dahle has also made sure that their products have high-quality parts and that’s the case with the 440, especially the blade. This trimmer’s blade is made out of ground steel, plus it’s 1/8” thick and self-sharpening which makes it very durable. The blade sits in a plastic case so you won’t accidentally cut yourself and it slides along a rod that’s made out of aluminum.
- You can’t use specialty blades with this device, such as wavy and perforating ones. This might be a problem if you want to use this trimmer for creative purposes.
- This device has an automatic paper clamp so your work can stay in place as you cut it. There’s also an adjustable backstop that can be placed on either side of the cutter.
- The Dahle 440’s base is also durable because it’s made out of metal. Due to the base’s construction, it won’t warp. In fact, it’s pretty much indestructible.
- The base has a metric grid on it, but there are also standard measurements if you’re more comfortable with that system. There are also cutting guides for documents of various sizes, as well as a protractor just in case you need to make an slanted cut.
- If you don’t have a lot of surface space in your work area, you can mount this trimmer on the wall. This could come in handy seeing as this device has dimensions of 22” (width) x 15-1/8” (length). Mounting it on the wall can also make your work a bit easier.
Final grade: A-. The Dahle 440 is one of the best rolling trimmers available and it would be great for a variety of work environments including offices, print and framing shops, and so on. This device has a great cutting capacity and it’s terrific that it can cut materials that are 14 inches long, including mat board. It would be nice if specialty blades were compatible with this trimmer, but overall, this product is ideal for a variety of cutting needs, especially since it can be mounted on a wall. All in all, the Dahle 440 is a great rolling trimmer, so be sure to take a look at it today.