- Evaluated by NSA: Meets the requirements of NSA/CSS specifi cation 02-01 for Level 6 High-Security cross-cut paper shredders
- Auto Start/Auto Stop: Optical sensor detects paper and starts operation automatically
- Door Safety Sensor: Motor stops automatically if cabinet door is opened
- Auto Reverse: In case of paper jam, built-in controls switch motor into reverse to clear jam
- Heat-treated steel cutters are specially ground for longevity and require minimal oil
- High Quality Geared Motor: Powerful, efficient AC geared-motor with heavy duty steel
- gears for high performance and minimal noise
- All-Metal Cabinet with casters
- Auto Sensor: When the waste bin is full, the motor stops automatically
- Lifetime Guaranteed Heavy-Duty Waste Bin
- Auto Cleaning: If shred capacity is decreased, press reverse button for 5 seconds and motor will run in reverse for 1 minute
- Oil Indicator: After every 4 hours of use, the control panel LED fl ashes to suggest oiling cutting blades for optimal performance
- Self-Diagnosis System: Records operation time, number of auto-reverse sequences, volume of paper shredded, and can display information for service technicians
- Thermal Overload Protection
- Safety Circuit Breaker ensures safe operation
- Optical Sensor Sensitivity Recovery: Can be reset by pressing the stop button for 7 seconds
- Manual Function: Can be used when shredding small sized paper or films which can't be detected by the sensor
- Optional EvenFlowTM Semi-Automatic Oiling System: Easy-to-use pump and copper nozzles keep the heat-treated steel blades in peak condition
- Includes Automatic Oiling System
- 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty, Lifetime on Cutting Cylinders
- Cutting Style: Cross Cut
- Security Level: P-7 (Old Level 6)
- Shred Size: 1/32" x 3/16" (Level 6)
- Sheet Capacity: 6 to 7
- Speed: 23 fpm
- Feed Opening: 10.25"
- Dimensions: 20" W x 20" D x 34" H
- Bin Capacity: 20 gal.
- Weight: 176 lbs.
- Power Supply: 110V, 50/60 Hz
Formax FD 8400HS High Security Level 6 Paper Shredder Review
The Formax FD 8400HS is a National Security Agency approved shredder, offering the highest level security on the market, along with some other nice features. Here is a closer look at some of the strengths and weaknesses of the Formax FD 8400HS.
- If only the highest security level available will do for your organization, the FD 8400HS may be the shredder you are looking for. Offering NSA/CSS specified, level 6 document shredding capabilities, the FD 8400HS completely destroys the average sheet of paper, turning it into tiny particles measuring 1/32" x 3/16." Long story short, we can say with complete confidence that any document you place in this shredder will be absolutely impossible to piece back together. This makes the FD 8400HS a great fit for research organizations, government agencies, and even the military. Though this kind of security might be much more than a private sector business might ever need, those businesses that contract with such organizations may be required to have a shredder like the FD8400HS on hand.
- We really like a machine that is easy to use, and the FD 8400HS fits the bill impressively well. The control panel is bone-simple to understand and features automatic on and off with its paper-sensing optical system. We also really appreciated the green and red lit load indicator that helps keep the user from feeding too much paper into the machine at once. If there is an overfeed, the FD 8400HS will automatically switch into reverse in order to prevent a paper jam.
- Safety and maintenance are features we always keep an eye out for, and the FD8400HS excels here as well. The FD 8400HS will shut itself off if the cabinet door is open and when the waste box is full, and a self contained circuit breaker ensures electrical safety. As far as maintenance, there is an auto reverse function you can use to clean out the cutting heads, and an indicator light that lets you know when the heads need oiling (the optional oiling system can make this simpler still).
- The FD 8400HS seems to be a nicely powered machine with an AC geared motor that operates at a speed of twenty three feet per minute. The solid steel cutting heads are heat treated and guaranteed for a year from purchase. The 10-plus inch feed opening will accommodate all the most common paper sizes.
- The FD 8400HS is meant to be purchased for its high security, and not for high volume shredding. If you are a private sector user, you will really have to ask yourself if you need this level of security at the expense of productivity. There are many shredders in the Formax line (such as the FD 8400CC) that offer cross cut patterns that meet federal FACTA regulations and can offer higher sheet capacities and throughput.
- Though the FD 8400HS offers thermal protection for its motor, what that really means is that the machine will turn itself off when it is in danger of overheating. It's a nice function, but you should be aware that the FD 8400HS is not a machine that is meant for continuous use. Still, for most users and use scenarios the thermal protection should never kick in.