- Pre-programmed for 6 popular folds: Letter, Zig-Zag, Single, Gate, Fold Out and Double Parallel folds in 11", 14" & 17" (Int'l Sizes A3, B4, A4, B5, A5 & B6)
- Telescoping Outfeed Stacker: Holds up to 500 folded documents and keeps them in a neat and sequential order
- Dedicated Multi-Sheet Feeder: Designed with an independent skew adjuster, side guides and paper sensor, operators can fold up to 3 stapled or unstapled sheets of paper at the same time
- AutoBatchTM: Processes a pre-determined number of sheets into sets with a delay between sets
- Manual Batch Counter: Processes a pre-determined number of forms
- 6-Digit Resettable Counter: Provides maximum audit control
- Custom Fold Memory: Set and store up to 35 custom jobs for automatic setup
- Drop-In Feed System: A drop-in three roller feed system produces dependable feeding of forms with no paper fanning required
- Cross-Folding: A guide is included for maximum performance
- Variable Speed Control: Up to 21,500 pieces per hour
- Fault Detector: Automatically stops operation if a fault occurs
- Noise Reduction: Fold plates are insulated to reduce operating noise
- Fine Tune Adjustment: Precisely sets fold stops for crisp, accurate folds
- Hopper Capacity: Up to 500 Sheets 20# (75gsm)
- Variable Speed: Up to 21,500 sheets per hour - based on 11"(279mm) "Z" fold
- Min Paper Size: 3.5'' W x 5" L (88.9 W x 127 L mm)
- Max Paper Size: 12.25'' W x 18" L (311 W x 457 L mm)
- Power: FD Model: 120 Volts AC 50/60 HZ
FE Model: 220 Volts AC 50/60 HZ
- Dimensions: Closed: 33" L x 20" W x 19" H (84 L x 51 W x 48 H cm)
Fully Extended: 60" L x 20" W x 19" H (152 L x 51 W x 48 H cm)
- Weight: 74 lbs (35 kg)
- Certifications: UL and CUL approved CE applied for
- Warranty: 90 Day Manufacturer Warranty
Reviewed on 5/17/2016
I've looked high and low for the best paper folder, the machine that combines the most features, speed, strength, and ease of use for a reasonable price. While by no means cheap, the Formax FD 38X has just about everything you could want in a high-end folder. Besides its absolutely easy setup, it couldn't be easier to use. The feature I love that most better folders don't have is the multiple sheet slot. There are so many times that I want to fold a stapled set of 3-4 sheets and you are out of luck with most folders. This is a brilliant folder.
FD38x Fully Automatic Folder. Fold up to 20,100 sheets per hour. Automatic fold & outfeed stacker settings. Choose from 18 standard fold settings or 35 custom fold settings. Locking fold plates. Adjustable feed tray tension for various paper weights & types. Fold sheets up to 12? x 18?
Setup & Operation. Lower the feed tray to load up to 500 sheets of paper. Select fold type, paper size is automatically detected. All set? Press the grees start button to begin folding
Telescoping Conveyor Stacker. Utilize the folder with the conveyor closed for tight spaces. Or fully extend the conveyor to hold up to 500 folded sheets
Multi-Sheet Feeder. Fold up to 4 sheets in one pass. Sets can be stapled or unstapled
Cross-Folding. Remove lower fold table to access the cross-fold feed arm. Insert documents that were folded in half on the first pass. Attach cross-fold feed arm and press start. Documents are folded down to fit in a standard size envelope
Formax FD380 Tabletop Document Folder Review
Formax is known for delivering quality office products and the FD380 is no exception. With automated functions for simple operation and a wide range of items produced, use is easy and convenient. Fast speeds and innovative features offer efficiency and functionality. Here's a closer look.
A drop-in feed system relies on three rollers for the dependable feeding of up to 500 unfanned pages into the device. If a misfeed or paper jam occurs, the Fault Detector cuts power to the motor and alerts the user to the problem. Fine tuning adjustment allows the precise setting for exact, crisp folds.
Paper sizes accepted range from 3.5" x 5" up to 12.25" x 17". Folds are preset for11", 14" and 17" sizes as well as six international sizes (A3, B4, A4, B5, A5, and B6). An LED panel activates six standard folds as well as offering up to nine custom folds to be stored for future use. The fold plates themselves are completely insulated to provide quieter, safer operation.
The six digit counter tracks how many documents have been folded since the last reset. It offers two batch folding options. The first folds a specific number of sheets at once and stops when finished. The second, AutoBatch, is an innovative design feature that allows a user to tell the folder how many sheets to pull into a set and pauses between each set. Additionally, you can program the total number of sets needed as well as the length of the delay between each one.
The unique exit system utilizes a Telescoping Outfeed Stacker and holds as many as 500 folded items. This allows the hopper to be completely folded before items need to be unloaded and keeps your documents neatly ordered.
A Dedicated Multi-Sheet Feeder offers a mechanism to fold one to three sheets at once, whether stapled or loose. It is outfitted with an independent skew adjuster and side guide adjuster for accurate folding. A paper sensor offers on-demand use.
With a machine this cool, it's hard to find a downside. But unfortunately this machine isn't rated to fold glossy and coated paper. Many offices don't use these materials and won't be affected by this. But businesses that do utilize specialty paper may prefer to invest in a machine specifically designed with this capability, such as the FD390.
One thing to consider when looking at this machine is its size in comparison with your needs. While this machine sounds amazing, it weighs around 77 pounds and is fairly large for a tabletop device. If this is more than you need or if you have a tight space, you might find that a smaller model better suits your needs.
Overall, the Formax FD380 offers a great paper folder for any office. Automatic innovative features offer simple operation while high speeds efficiently complete any folding job. With such a range of paper sizes and fold styles, all your folding needs are met in one convenient machine. We think any office would benefit from this excellent paper folder.