- Punches the GBC 4:1 pattern for Color Coil binding (44 Holes)
- The ergonomic vertical punch throat speeds up productivity and prevents mispunches.
- Choose your preferred punching method from a palm switch or hands-free foot pedal.
- Auto-reverse prevents downtime due to punching too much paper.
- Adjustable edge guide allows for easy alignment of paper and covers.
- Flat top surface for stacking GBC bind stations for space savings. Bind station may be separated from the punch for increased productivity - one operator punching and one operator binding.
- GBC Part Number 7706000 , G7706000
- Warranty: 90 Day Manufacturer Warranty
- Productivity: 2 second punch cycle
- Bind Capacity: N/A Punch Capacity: Punches up to 14 sheets per lift (based on 20 lb. bond); GBC 4:1 pitch (.2475 spacing); 4 round holes per inch; 44 holes for 11" punching edge
- Min Doc Size: Punches books as small as 4"
- Max Doc Size: Punches books as large as 11.7"(A4) in one pass. Longer documents may be punched in two passes
- Dimensions: 19.8"x7.4"x20.5" LxWxD
- Machine Weight: 38 lbs. (17.3 kgs.)
- Packaged Weight: 50.12 lbs.
- Ratings: 115 Volt / 50-60Hz
- Safety Agency Approval: Designed to meet UL and CSA safety standards
GBC MP2000C4 Modular Series 4:1 Fixed Die Color Coil Binding Punch Review
- The MP2000C4 is a 4:1 pitch fixed die modular binding punch that is used for punching documents that are going to be bound with spiral coil.
- This electric punch is designed for users who are looking to help increase their productivity by separating the punching and spiral coil inserting functions of the binding process.
- The MP2000C4 is designed to be used in conjunction with a modular spiral coil inserter such as the Akiles Roll @ Coil or the GBC CC2700. The inserter can be neatly stacked on top of the unit or can be used by a second operator to allow one user to punch while the other finishes the documents.
- This machine is ideal for a small to medium sized office that only needs to do one style of binding and is looking for a high quality modular system to help them improve efficiency.
Strengths / Features:
- The MP2000C4 is designed with the office environment in mind. Unlike many larger binding punches that tend to look “industrial” this machine won’t look out of place in your office. The sleek black exterior with silver highlights help to ensure that this machine won’t stand out or look obtrusive in your office. The convenient design of this machine also allows you to stack your coil inserter on to top of the machine to conserve space. Plus, the MP2000-C4 is quiet compared to many pieces of binding equipment.
- When GBC designed this machine they incorporated a vertical feed punching mechanism. This allows user to drop their pages into the punching throat in order to help align the sheets for punching. This machine is extremely easy to feed. You simply drop your pages into the machine allowing the base of the punching slot to make your documents flush. Then you slide the pages against the edge guide and you are ready to punch.
- The MP2000C4 offers two different punch activators. It has a palm switch button on the front of the machine for small run jobs. It also has a foot pedal for larger punching applications. It doesn’t really matter which one you use, try them both out and determine which one you think is faster for you.
- The edge guide on this machine is one of the best designs that I have seen on a modular binding punch. It is easy to slide and adjust and can be quickly and accurately tightened to help you center the holes on your document.
Weaknesses / Limitations:
- The punching capacity for this machine is only fourteen sheets per punch. This is a little bit low for punch of this quality. For small and medium sized users this shouldn’t be a huge issue. However, higher volume users and organizations that need to bind large books using spiral coil may want to consider a punch with a higher punching capacity.
- The MP2000C4 only has two disengageable dies. This allows this machine to be used for punching documents with either an 11″ or 8.5″ binding edge. It can be used to bind 8.5″ x 11″ paper on either the short or long side of the document. It can also be used to bind half letter sized documents and legal sized documents on the 8.5″ side of the sheet. However, this machine cannot be used to punch oversized covers or other special sizes of paper. This is fairly common with many coil binding systems but is something that is important to keep in mind.
- It is important to remember that when purchasing this system you are only getting a punch. You will still need to buy a modular coil inserter and a pair of spiral coil crimping pliers. A coil inserter is used to help spin the coil onto the edge of your document. The coil crimping pliers are used to crimp the end of your binding elements so that the coils don’t spin back off your bound presentations.
- The MP2000C4 is a fixed die modular binding punch. This means that it can only punch one hole pattern. Organizations that do more than one type of binding may want to look at an interchangeable die modular punch that is capable of more than one type of punching. An interchangeable die punch will offer increased productivity, faster punching times and of course the ability to punch different hole patterns.
- The MP2000C4 is an excellent machine for small and medium sized offices that are looking to help increase productivity when binding documents with spiral coil.
- It is a great choice for organizations that are simply tired of punching documents by hand and want to help speed up the coil binding process.
- However, this system is limited in the sizes of books that it can punch and in the number of pages that it can punch at a time. High volume users and large corporations may want to consider a larger unit that offers more flexibility and productivity.
- Additionally, this machine can only punch one type of hole pattern. If your organization does more than one type of binding or frequently needs to punch documents with 3-hole or 2-hole patterns you might want to look at the GBC MP2500ix.
This review was written by Jeff McRitchie who is the director of marketing for Mybinding.com. Jeff has written more than three hundred articles and more than two hundred reviews on Binding Machines, Binding Supplies, Report Covers, 3-Ring Binders, Index Tabs, Laminators, Laminating Supplies, Paper Shredders and Paper Handling Equipment