How can I make my own ID cards and name tags?
Jeff McRitchie posted this on Jul 10, 2015
Do you want to make your own ID cards and name tags? If you do, you’ll be happy to know that’s it’s easy to do. You just need the right equipment and supplies. These are the things you’ll need:
- Something you’ll want to get is a pouch laminator. This type of device will laminate your cards so that they become more durable and will be able to withstand frequent handling. There are a lot of laminators available, so you’ll have your choice of size, brand name, price, and so on. If you’re only going to be using the laminator to process small items, a machine with a smaller feed opening (i.e. less than 8” wide) is ideal. Be sure to pick up some laminating pouches that are compatible with the device so you can start using it right away.
- The next item you need to get is a slot punch. This is simply a device that will punch nice, clean holes in your cards and tags so you can attach them to lanyards, badge reels, and so on. There are different types of slot punches available ranging from handheld devices to more sophisticated electric ones. A handheld one would be great if you’re not going to be creating a lot of tags but if you will be making them on a regular basis, an electric one would be a better choice.
- A lot of people like using lanyards, so you should keep a good supply on them on-hand. While lanyards used to be pretty basic, there are now some really great-looking ones available. There are still polyester ones available in different colors (black, blue, etc.) but there are also ones that are beaded, emblazoned with social awareness symbols (such as the pink ribbon for cancer awareness), made from bamboo, and so on. You can even order customized lanyards or purchase reflective ones which are perfect for people in risky jobs such as construction.
- Badge reels and wrist coils are nice alternatives for people who don’t like to wear lanyards for whatever reason. These supplies allow the user to keep his or her card/tag nearby at all times. Some badge reels can even be customized so you can show off your company’s logo or whatever else you want.
- If you prefer not to use paper to make your tags and cards, you can use PVC cards instead. These supplies are easy to use, but you’ll need to have access to a PVC card printer to get the best results. The great thing about using PVC cards is that they’re really durable so you don’t need to laminate them. This can be extremely helpful if you’re looking to save time.