- Meets the requirements of NSA-approved security (Security Level 6).
- Shreds pages into virtually unreadable 0.039" x 0.185" pieces.
- Shreds up to 4 sheets in a single pass.
- The 9.5" throat width accepts letter- and legal-size pages. Plus, allows continuous feeding of 80-column paper.
- Features auto start/stop for quick, convenient operation. Shredder shuts off automatically and alerts you when a jam occurs, wastebasket is full, or door is ajar.
- Includes 8.25-gallon wastebasket. Full-basket indicator lets you know when it's time to empty.
- Security level: Level 6 (top secret)
- Cut style: high security
- Shred size: 0.039" x 0.185"
- Number of sheets per pass: 4
- Continuous run time: continuous
- Wastebasket capacity: 8.25 gallons
- Maximum shred speed: 13 fpm
- Number of users: 1-5
- Throat width: 9.5 inches
- Full-wastebasket indicator: yes
- Automatic start/stop: yes
- Manual reverse: yes
- Overload protection: yes
- Dimensions: 26"H x 16"W x 14.25"D
Fellowes Powershred HS-400 High Security Paper Shredder Review
Businesses needing to meet government approved security standards should check out the Fellowes Powershred HS-400 High Security Paper Shredder. It provides the highest security level available, level 6, in a petite design perfect for a small office with 1-5 users. Here is a closer look at the details of the HS-400.
- The smaller dimensions allow it to fit in even the tiniest of offices. It sits just over two feet tall and the slim design offers tidy, deskside storage. The space saving console is especially handy in modest offices where space is a precious commodity.
- Automated functions make this shredder very simple to use. It starts and stops automatically as items are sensed in the opening. If a jam occurs, the machine will automatically stop. The reverse switch will allow you to feed papers back out through the entry for quick and easy clearing.
- The powerful motor is rated for continuous duty. As a result, you can shred for extended periods of time without your shredder needing a cool down period. This allows the continuous feeding of 80 column paper or other continuous printouts.
- Up to four sheets of paper can enter the 9.5 inch throat at once and are shred as fast as 13 feet per minute. The tiny bits that remains measure only 1mm by 4.7mm and provide the highest security level available, level 6. These minuscule particles exceed the NSA’s standards for document destruction and are impossible to reassemble. Top secret and highly classified documents will stay safe in the thousands of pieces created by the blades.
- The paper confetti slowly fills an 8.25 gallon waste bin. The cabinet uses a safety interlock switch to prevent accidental injury. If the switch isn’t properly latched, the blades won’t start. A full shred bag also causes the machine to stop. Once both issues are fixed, the device will start shredding again as normal.
- Fellowes backs up this product with a two year warranty. The solid steel blades are covered for five years.
- As with many high security shredders, this one doesn’t take in anything other than paper. All document fasteners need to be removed before shredding. If your office doesn’t require this high of security, you’ll save time by investing in a machine that allows you to toss in stapled and paperclipped documents.
- Since it’s designed for use by only a few people, the capacities seen on this model are low. When used for light shredding in a small office, this isn’t a problem. But if you have more than 5 users or have heavier shredding needs, you might check out the HS-800, which is designed for higher volume use.
As you can see, the Fellowes Powershred HS-400 is a great choice for a small, high security shredder. It is perfect for a smaller office with 1-5 people who need government approved shredding security. Military and government agencies as well as research labs and any other top secret facility will appreciate the efficiency and convenience of this petite device. We think the HS-400 is an excellent choice for your next high security shredder.