- The HS-440 has been evaluated by the NSA and meets the requirements of NSA/CSS Specification 02-01 for High Security Cross-Cut Shredders.
- TAA Compliant.
- SilentShred offers ultra-quiet performance for shared workspaces.
- Electronically controlled Safety Shield stops shredder when opened.
- Automatically shuts off after 30 minutes of inactivity for zero energy consumption.
- Shreds 4 sheets per pass into unreconstructable 1/32" x 3/16" cross-cut particles for NSA-approved security (Security Level P-7).
- Features 9.5" paper entry plus continuous duty motor for non-stop shredding.
- Requires a dedicated 15 amp outlet for optimal performance.
- 9 gallon bin.
- 27.63"H x 15.6"W x 11.6"D.
- Model Number: HS-440
- Item Number: 3306301
- Sheet Capacity:4
- Cut Type: Cross Cut (High Security)
- Cut Size (inches): 1/32" x 3/16"
- DIN Level - Paper: P-7
- Speed (Feet Per Minute): 14
- Maximum Run Time (minutes): Continuous
- Recommended Number Of Users: 1-3
- Jam Prevention Features: Auto Reverse
- Safety Features: Safety Shield
- Noise Features: SilentShred
- Energy Efficient Features: Auto Shut Off
- Bin Capacity (gallons): 9
- Item H x W x D (inches): 25.00 x 15.50 x 11.75
- Color: Black/Grey
- Material Type: Plastic
- Feed Type: Traditional
Fellowes Powershred HS-440 High Security Paper Shredder Review
High-security paper shredders make it easy to keep private documents under wraps. One such device is the Fellowes Powershred HS-440. Here's a look at what it can do as well as how it rates on a scale of 1 to 10.
The thing that makes this shredder stand out is its security rating. The HS-440 is a Level 6 machine which means it offers the greatest possible amount of security. This device meets all the standards listed in the NSA/CSS Specification 02-01 so it can be used to shred classified documents.
The HS-440 can shred 4 sheets of paper at once and the sheets can be up to 9.5" wide. (Thus, it's easy to shred letter- and legal-sized paper as well as computer printouts.) This machine has a continuous-duty motor so you can shred as much as you want or need to without stopping. Also, shredding starts as soon as paper is inserted into the feed opening. The device will stop running once the sheets have been processed.
Unfortunately, this shredder doesn't really have any anti-jam features except for a reverse mode. When you use it, try not to shred too many sheets at once so you won't have to deal with a paper jam.
One thing to keep in mind is that this shredder can only be used to destroy paper. It doesn't have the ability to shred multimedia items such as CD's, DAT tape, and so on.
The HS-440's main safety feature is an interlock switch. (This switch helps prevent authorized people from using the shredder.) Also, the machine will shut down if the waste bin compartment door is open. However, be sure to be careful when using this device.
This is a large machine that measure 25" (height) x 15.5" (width) x 11.75" (depth). There are casters on the bottom of it so it should be fairly easy to move even though it weighs 80 pounds. It has a 13-gallon waste bin capacity so it can be used by several people over the course of a day.
When the waste bin gets too full, the device will shut down so you can get rid of the shreds. This means you don't have to keep an eye on the waste bin all the time.
The HS-440 has a general two-year warranty. However, the cutting mechanism is covered for a full 5 years which is excellent.
Final rating: 8. Overall, the Fellowes Powershred HS-440 is an impressive device especially since it offers an excellent amount of security. Since this is a Level 6 machine, it's ideal for businesses and organizations that deal with a lot of confidential information including medical records and credit reports. Also, this device is large enough to be used by several people and the waste bin won't get full too quickly. It would be nice if this machine could shred multimedia items and if it had more safety features, but for people and organizations needing a high-security paper shredder, the HS-440 would be a great choice.