- Patented Anti-Jam Feature. Our New Overload Detection Feature Triggers an Auto-Reversing Function to Eliminate Jamming in the Punch.
- 2-Bolt EZ Change Slide Out Die System
- The HD 6500 Has More Than 20 Interchangeable Dies Available. 12 Hole Patterns are Standard. (Comes With Your Choice of a Standard Die)
- Rated up to 40 Sheets or up to 80 Pages of 20 lb.or 80gsm. The Number of Sheets Depends on the Paper Weight and Punch Pattern Used. (15,000 to 18,000 SPH)
- 14" (356mm) Open Ended Punching, Allows for Wider Applications
- 90 Cycles Per Minute
- Pre-set Paper Stop Guide for Easy Setup
- All Punch Pins Easily Disengaged
- Easy, "Paper to Pin", Sight Alignment, for Balanced Hole to Edge Margins on Odd-Sized Applications.
- Use Foot Pedal, Versa Switch, or Palm Switch
- Smooth, Quiet, Power on Demand Operation
- Now Includes Commercial Chip Tray
- All Metal Fabrication
- 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty
Rhin-O-Tuff HD6500 Heavy Duty Interchangeable Die Modular Binding Punch Review
- The Rhino Tuff HD-6500 is a heavy duty interchangeable die modular binding punch that is designed for use in print shops, binderies, copy shops and large organizations.
- Although this machine looks almost identical to the HD7000 there is one primary difference. This machine uses the Rhin-O-Tuff Ez Change die system which makes changing hole patterns slightly more cumbersome than the "quick change" die system offered on the HD-7000 and HD-7700 models.
- However, for organizations that primarily use one type of binding or who don't mind spending a few minutes changing the die set on their machine this punch can save users a few hundred dollars.
- Apart from the difference in the die change technology, the HD-6500 is nearly identical to the HD-7000 and is a high quality heavy duty binding punch.
Strengths / Features:
- The HD6500 offers the ability to punch between thirty and fifty five sheets of paper at a time depending on the hole-pattern that you are using. If you are using a three hole or Velobind die you can punch over fifty sheets. It can handle about thirty sheets of paper using a spiral coil binding die. The only punch that can handle more sheets of paper at a time is the Rhino Tuff Ultima HD-7700.
- Like the HD7000 and HD7700 this punch has a full fourteen inch wide punching throat. All of the dies for this machine are fourteen inches wide and are capable of punching a legal sized sheet of paper. The HD-6500 also has an open punching throat that makes it possible to punch longer sheet sizes using a two step process. Plus, every die offers the ability to pull any of the punching pins in order to produce a custom hole-pattern.
- The Rhin-O-Tuff HD6500 is a heavy duty all metal binding punch that is designed for use in high volume production environments. The case, die mechanisms, internal components and even the chip tray are all made of high quality steel and are designed for strength and durability. This machine is built to be used every day for years without the need for any maintenance. It even comes with a one year warranty on both the die and the machine.
- The HD6500 allows you to bolt a plastic comb opener, wire closer or coil inserter to the top of the punch. This can help you conserve space and makes sure that your finishing equipment is always in reach when you need it. However, you also just set your finishing device on the top of the machine and then use it separately from the punch. This allows you to increase productivity by forming an assembly line with one operator punching documents while another finishes them.
- The Rhino HD 6500 has a vertical punching throat that allows gravity to help ensure that your documents are aligned and flush for punching. The process of dropping your pages into the punch can help to make sure that all of your sheets are lined up and ready for punching. This can help to reduce costly punching errors, especially if the punch is being used by an inexperienced operator.
Weaknesses / Limitations:
- The primary difference between this machine and the HD 7000 is the die change system. This machine is priced a few hundred dollars less because the die change system is more difficult to use. In order to change the die set on this machine you need to flip up the metal lid on the front of the machine, loosen two bolts and then slide the die out of the machine. Overall the die change process will take most users about two minutes which really isn't too bad. However, if you do not adequately tighten the two bolts when you insert the new dieset into the machine it can cause problems. If those two bolts are not completely tight there will be movement in the dieset during the punching process which can affect the accuracy and longevity of the punch.
- The HD-6500 includes many of the same features as the larger HD-7700 Ultima punch. However, in order to cut the price Rhino Tuff reduced the size of the punching motor and made the dies smaller and less durable. High volume users may want to consider paying the extra money to upgrade to the HD7700 or the GBC Magnapunch.
- Like all of the Rhin-O-Tuff punches that I have tested, the HD6500 has the ability to punch a large number of sheets at one time. However, punching the maximum capacity of this machine results in a really poor punch quality. The holes in the sheets end up looking jagged and the sheets of paper become welded together. In order to avoid these punching quality problems it is necessary to reduce the number of sheets that you punch at a time to around twenty. This eliminates much of the advantage that this machine has over other modular binding punches.
- The HD-6500 is an excellent binding punch for industrial applications and fits well in a print shop or production environment. However, it has an industrial look that many professional office environments do not prefer. The GBC modular binding punches have more of a professional appearance and are better suited for office environments where the punch may be placed in a public area.
- The HD-6500 is a high quality heavy duty modular binding punch that is a great choice for organizations that primarily use one hole pattern and only occasionally need to switch dies.
- It offers a savings of a few hundred dollars over the HD-7000 which offers the same set of features but has an easier die change mechanism.
- The HD6500 has a great punching capacity, heavy duty construction, a fourteen inch punching throat and comes with an awesome one year warranty.
- However, this machine is not as easy to use as some of the other modular binding punches that are available on the market and does not offer the professional look that is offered by GBC.
- Still, this is a great machine for an organization that is on a budget and needs a reliable heavy duty modular binding punch.
This review was written by Jeff McRitchie who is the director of marketing for Mybinding.com Jeff has written more than three hundred articles and more than two hundred reviews on Binding Machines, Binding Supplies, Report Covers, 3-Ring Binders, Index Tabs, Laminators, Laminating Supplies, Paper Shredders and Paper Handling Equipment.