- Capable to close 3-1 pitch 1/4 to 9/16": Double-loop binding wire
- 18" Binding Edge
- Eliminates manual insertion of wire into documents with 1 easy step
- Easily Adjustable for Wire Sizes
- Lightweight and Portable
- Easy Operation at any Wire Size
- All Metal Construction
- Made in the USA with more than 98% recyclable materials
- Model: HC8318 ONYX
- Capacity Size: 18"
- Weight: 55.4 lbs
- Machine Dimensions: 16" x 19" x 14" (H x W x D)
- Warranty: Three Year Manufacturer Warranty
Welcome to MyBinding video. This is the Rhin-O-Tuff Onyx HD8370, the Insert-a-Bind is a wire inserter and closer. In wire binding, inserting the wire as well as closing it is a time-consuming process; this machine makes it faster and simpler. Set up is pretty specific and here’s a color-coded step-by-step process. Step one is red and you adjust the two red dials on the top. This adjusts for the size wi... Read More
The Rhin-O-Tuff HC8318 is the same machine as the HD8370, BUT it is 4" longer. So, the following video is for the HD8370, however the features are the same as this machine.
Welcome to MyBinding video. This is the Rhin-O-Tuff Onyx HD8370, the Insert-a-Bind is a wire inserter and closer. In wire binding, inserting the wire as well as closing it is a time-consuming process; this machine makes it faster and simpler. Set up is pretty specific and here’s a color-coded step-by-step process. Step one is red and you adjust the two red dials on the top. This adjusts for the size wire that you’ll be using. Dial both of them to the same, up or down, so they line up with the same side line. The second step, or the green knob also adjusts for the size wire; match it to the setting on the top. The third and final adjustment to wire size is the yellow knob; turn it, set it, lock it.
Next, moving onto the fourth step, is the orange knob, and this adjusts the height of the table. Once you place the wire onto the table and slide it all the way to the back, with your line of sight, use the orange knob to lower the table or raise it just until that lower loop disappears. The final dial is the blue dial; this is used to adjust the size paper that you’ll be binding. The little metal fence here at the top is the top wire guide. It goes down under, you make your adjustments here on the side, just again until that top loop disappears from sight. These specific adjustments become second nature after some use. But in wire binding, there’s nothing more convenient and quick than being able to slide your book in and pull the lever down for a complete insert and close in one step. That’s it, that’s the Onyx HD8370. Works great as a standalone unit with any binding system or can be mounted on top of any vertical Rhin-O-Tuff OD or HD punch. And the entire Onyx series comes with a full three-year warranty.
For more demos, reviews, and how-tos, check out MyBinding.com.
Rhino Tuff HC-8318 Wire Closer Inserter Review
Presented as a small, affordable wire binding solution for shorter run projects such as calendars, the Rhino HC-8318 is semi-automated system that purports to make the process quicker and easier. It even includes the ability to bind wire hangers into your documents. We took a closer look at the HC-8318 and here we list for you what we consider to be the machine's strengths and weaknesses.
- The HC-8318 is designed to make inserting and closing your binding wire much easier, making it in fact a single step process. With this machine, all you need to do is place the spine of your book inside, and put the pages on the document table. The machine does the rest. We found this to be incredibly handy as we no longer had to manually hang the pages we meant to bind together nor transport the book to the wire closer. We can see how this nearly automatic process could increase the productivity level of just about any organization to a major degree.
- The HC-8318 gives users the ability to bind a vast array of differently sized documents. The preset book stops are for all the common sizes, from eleven by seventeen to five and a half inches. Using its custom settings, however, any custom size in between is possible for this machine. That's some pretty amazing versatility, and we have to say that we were pretty impressed.
- The series of notches that Rhino placed on the edge of the HC-8318's document table make it very easy to choose the correct wire size for your project. All you have to do is find the smallest notch that your document can comfortably squeeze into, and use the wire size that is indicated.
- One of our favorite features of the HC-8318 is its ability to insert calendar hangers as a part of the process. On the machine, there is a slot that the calendar hanger sits in, and all the user has to do is to place the hanger on the machine at the proper stage of the process.
- Though the HC-8318 works great with three to one pitch wires that are up to nine sixteenths of an inch in diameter, it can't be used with two to one pitch wire. You will need to either purchase a standalone manual wire closer that can do two to one pitch or look for another machine.
- Our main difficulty with the HC-8318 is that we found it a bit of a chore to set up for use with different sizes. We should note that the machine worked fine in every setting that we tried, but the process of setting it up in the first place has ten steps, and each one must be completed exactly correctly for the machine to work at all. If you are a larger organization with technical operators, they should be able to figure it out without any problems. However for the more casual and occasional user, the process can present a bit of a hurdle. Proper training, and/or a few practice runs should resolve that issue though.