- Number of Users: 5-10
- Model: 500X Stack-and-Shred
- Swingline Item Number: 1757577
- Cut Style/security level: Cross-cut/P-4
- Sheet Capacity: 500 Auto/10 manual
- Waste Capacity: 21 gallons
- Entry Width: 9"
- Max run time/cool down: Continuous
- Shreds per 8.5" x 11" sheet: 377
- Shred Speed (feet per minute): 10fpm
- Cut Size: 3/16" x 1 1/2"
- Shreds CD/credit cards: Yes
- Shreds Staples/Paper Clips: Yes
- Anti-Jam Technology: Jam Free/Auto Jam Clearance
- Super Quiet: Yes
- Sound level: 60db
- Self-cleaning cutters: Yes
- Automatic oiling: Yes
- Finger safe/ Safety Agency: Yes/CSAus
- Power Save: Yes
- Manual Reverse: Yes
- Casters: Yes
- Manufacturer limited warranty (machine/cutters): 2yr/2yr - 2 yr on-site service included
- Paper waste bag item number: 1765030
- Oil item number: 1760049
Reviewed on 3/20/2016
Positive: Love the fact that this item is hands free as it gives you the ability to do other tasks while shredder is working.
Negatives: Do not like the fact that you have to open and close the unit to shred each CD/DVD. Would have preferred a top CD shred dispenser. Also wish the unit was taller allowing for a larger bin to get more use out of each bag. The wire bin container is also a let down as its construction is poor and often grabs the bag causing the bags to tear.
Swingline Stack-and-Shred 500X Hands Free Shredder
Do you need a paper shredder that has en extremely high shredding capacity? If so, the Swingline Stack-and-Shred X500 might be the machine for you. Check out its strengths and weaknesses:
- The Stack-and-Shred 500X's greatest strength is its shredding capacity. The machine can shred up to 500 sheets at once, which is the equivalent of an entire ream of paper. Just pop the lid, place the paper in the machine, and shut the lid. The paper will be destroyed immediately. It doesn't get much easier than that. (Note: you can also shred 10 sheets manually. Just place them in the feed opening on top of the device.)
- This machine can shred CD's, credit cards, and documents that still have staples and paper clips attached to them. You will need to use the feed opening when shredding these devices. They cannot be placed in the main shredding area.
- If you need a lot of security, this is a great shredder to use. It's a cross-cut machine that will produce shreds that measure 3/16" x 1-1/2". Put another way, it can turn a piece of letter-sized paper into 377 bits. You can also use a PIN with this machine to lock the shredder as it works.
- The Stack-and-Shred 500X has a continuous-duty motor so you will be able to shred your documents throughout the day. The machine has jam-free technology and the ability to clear paper jams automatically, so you will be able to get rid of your documents without any trouble.
- This machine is perfect for shared use by several people. The waste bin can hold up to 21 gallons of material so it won't need to be emptied very often. When it's time to get rid of the shreds, just open up the cabinet, and pull the bin out. Make sure to get rid of any plastic shreds which are stored in an adjacent plastic bin.
- This shredder works quietly so you can get rid of your documents and such without making a racket. Also, maintenance is a snap with this machine since it has an automatic oiling system.
- Finally, the Stack-and-Shred 500X comes with a 2-year warranty. On-site service is included for your convenience.
- This shredder is fairly large so you probably won't be able to store it under a desk. The best place for it is in a copy or printer room so everyone can access to it.
- The Stack-and-Shred 500X can't shred floppy disks or DAT tape. You will need an additional machine to destroy those kinds of items.
As you can see, the Swingline Stack-and-Shred 500X has many more strengths than weaknesses. This state-of-the-art shredder is ideal for busy offices and it has one of the highest shredding capacities you will ever come across. This machine can not only shred up to 500 sheets at once, it can also take care of CD's and credit cards. Also, this shredder can be used continuously which is helpful when you need to get rid of a lot of documents in a short period of time. While this machine can't shred floppy disks or DAT tape, it nonetheless is a high-quality shredder. Check out the Stack-and-Shred 500X today.