Rhin-O-Tuff Onyx HD8370 14" Semi-Automatic Wire Inserter and Closer - Wire Binding (HD8370-ONYX)
- Capable to close 3-1 pitch 1/4 to 9/16": Double-loop binding wire
- 14" (356mm) Binding Edge
- Eliminates manual insertion of wire into documents with 1 easy step
- Easily Adjustable for Wire Sizes
- Lightweight and Portable
- Easy Operation at any Wire Size
- All Metal Construction
- Made in the USA with more than 98% recyclable materials
- Model: HD8370 ONYX
- Capacity Size: 14"
- Weight: 42.5 lbs
- Machine Dimensions: 16" x 19" x 14" (H x W x D)
- Warranty: Three Year Manufacturer Warranty
Welcome to MyBinding video. This is the Rhin-O-Tuff Onyx HD8370, the Insert-a-Bind is a wire inserter and closer. In wire binding, inserting the wire as well as closing it is a time-consuming process; this machine makes it faster and simpler. Set up is pretty specific and here’s a color-coded step-by-step process. Step one is red and you adjust the two red dials on the top. This adjusts for the size wire that you’ll be using. Dial both of them to the same, up or down, so they line up with the same side line. The second step, or the green knob also adjusts for the size wire; match it to the setting on the top. The third and final adjustment to wire size is the yellow knob; turn it, set it, lock it.
Next, moving onto the fourth step, is the orange knob, and this adjusts the height of the table. Once you place the wire onto the table and slide it all the way to the back, with your line of sight, use the orange knob to lower the table or raise it just until that lower loop disappears. The final dial is the blue dial; this is used to adjust the size paper that you’ll be binding. The little metal fence here at the top is the top wire guide. It goes down under, you make your adjustments here on the side, just again until that top loop disappears from sight. These specific adjustments become second nature after some use. But in wire binding, there’s nothing more convenient and quick than being able to slide your book in and pull the lever down for a complete insert and close in one step. That’s it, that’s the Onyx HD8370. Works great as a standalone unit with any binding system or can be mounted on top of any vertical Rhin-O-Tuff OD or HD punch. And the entire Onyx series comes with a full three-year warranty.
For more demos, reviews, and how-tos, check out MyBinding.com.
Rhin-O-Tuff HD8370 Double Loop Wire Inserter and Closer Review
- If you have ever tried to bind a document using double loop wire you probably know just how difficult it can be to insert the pages onto the document and then transfer everything to the wire closer for finishing.
- The Rhino Tuff HD-8370 is a manual wire closer that is designed to automate the inserting and closing process for your wire bound documents.
- All you need to do is insert the wire into the closer, place the document onto the closing table and pull the handle. It is as easy as that.
- It works with three to one pitched wires up to fourteen inches in length.
Strengths / Features:
- The HD-8370 is designed to work with three to one pitch wires. It can be used with spines as small as 1/4" and as large as 9/16" in diameter. The front of binding table on the machine even has a document sizing guide to help you select the appropriate diameter of wire-o element for your document.
- This machine can be used with a number of different lengths of twin loop wire. It can be adjusted to close documents as small as 5.5" for binding half letter sized books in Iandscape format. It can also be adjusted to handle legal sized 14" binding lengths. Plus, t will also handle standard eleven inch and 8.5 inch lengths. This means that the HD8370 can be used with all of the standard sizes of wire that are available on the market.
- The HD-8370 can be used as a standalone device or it can easily be bolted to the top of your Rhino Tuff HD or OD series modular binding punch. This offers flexibility to users who may want to conserve space or for high volume users that need to use an assembly line setup for binding documents quickly and easily with multiple personnel.
- The HD-8370 is made completely of metal and like all of the pieces of Rhin-O-Tuff equipment on the market is built to operate in a production environment. The construction of this machine is excellent and the wire closer is made of heavy duty steel components. This should help to ensure that it stays accurate and durable in organizations where it is being used every day.
Weaknesses / Limitations:
- The primary complaint that I hear about the HD-8370 is that it is difficult to set up. In order to operate the machine you need to set the wire closer to the appropriate setting, move the edge guide into position, ensure that the wire is placed in the correct position inside the closer and adjust the wire rest, the book stop and the table height. Even the most experienced wire binding users can find this to be a difficult process. If you primarily bind one size of wire the this machine may be easier to use since it won't require constant adjustments. However, users who regularly bind different thicknesses of books may have difficulties with this machine.
- Although HD8370 is capable of binding documents that are the most common lengths it is not ideal for binding documents that utilize a custom number of loops. It is specifically designed to bind 16 loop, 25 loop, 32 loop, 38 loop, 41 loop, 24 loop and 34 loop documents. If your document is a size other than this, it may have difficulties closing and inserting the wires.
- It may also have difficulties with wires that have become deformed or are slightly out of pitch. The wires need to line up perfectly with the bars in the machine in order to properly insert and close the documents
- The HD8370 is a great choice for organizations that are looking for a high volume easy to use wire closer and inserter .
- However, the setup of this machine makes it difficult to use for organizations that regularly need to switch the sizes of the documents that they need to bind.
- This makes the HD-8370 ideal for users who need to bind a large number of documents that are all the same size.
- Otherwise, you will want to make sure that you have a mechanically minded operator that is comfortable working with a number of different settings in order to get this machine to work properly.
This review was written by Jeff McRitchie who is the director of marketing for Mybinding.com. Jeff has written more than three hundred articles and more than two hundred reviews on Binding Machines, Binding Supplies, Report Covers, 3-Ring Binders, Index Tabs, Laminators, Laminating Supplies, Paper Shredders and Paper Handling Equipment.