GBC DigiCoil Automatic Color Coil Inserter (0340000000)
- LCD panel directs operator through each step of the binding process.
- Accommodates 4:1 coils from 8mm to 33mm.
- Secure coil crimping.
- Small footprint - takes less space.
- No air required.
- GBC Part Number 0340000000 , G0340000000
- Warranty: 90 Day Manufacturer Warranty
- Productivity: Up to 450 books per hour
- Bind Capacity: Up to 33mm coil
- Min Doc Size: 4.25" x 5"
- Max Doc Size: 14" x 12"
- Dimensions: 48" x 60" x 48" LxWxD
- Machine Weight: 375 lbs. (170 kgs.)
- Packaged Weight: 436 lbs.
- Warranty: 90 Day Manufacturer Warranty
One of today’s most impressive, secure and functional binding solutions is Color Coil from GBC. Documents bound with Color Coil lay completely flat when open and pages wrap all the way around the spine. Color Coil is resilient and bounces back when compressed, making it perfect for mailing. And with a full range of colors available to complement any cover stuff, it will create impressive looking documents every time. In order to produce Color Coil documents quickly in a variety of sizes, you need a versatile production system from GBC; one that’s flexible enough to automatically bind documents using elements sized from 8 mm to 33 mm and easy enough to allow changing between those sizes in an instant. This system’s quick size changes would make it ideal for multiple short runs and its impressive production speeds would make long runs manageable and more profitable. And now, for the first time, there’s a system that produces Color Coil documents in a full range of sizes with ease and efficiency in all applications – the GBC DigiCoil ColorCoil inserter.
The DigiCoil production binding system is so easy to use anyone can become an expert in an instant. Set up takes less than two minutes and doesn’t require any tools. If the operator has questions along the way, the interactive keypad will assist with the entire process. And changing the system to bind different book thicknesses is as easy as 1-2-3. First, measure your book by using the built-in size guide to determine which coil size is needed. Next, install the appropriate spine formers for the coil size selected. No tools are needed. Finally, move the cut crimp knife height adjustment lever to the appropriate setting for the coil size being used. Now, you’re ready to bind. Because the entire changeover takes less than two minutes, DigiCoil is the perfect system for multiple short runs with element size changes. Binding with DigiCoil is as easy as setting up the system. Simply place your pre-punched book in a standard coil element into the unit and depress the foot pedal. The coil is automatically inserted into the document. It is then transported to the cut crimp area and automatically ejected to the output stacker once binding is complete. The entire binding process is designed to maximize productivity. Foot pedal operation allows both hands to be used in handling the document and coil elements. The operator doesn’t need to feed any part of the coil into the book. DigiCoil is fully automated to perform this task. DigiCoil’s unique two-stage design allows the operator to begin the inserting process while another document is being cut and crimped simultaneously.
To further streamline productivity, the output stacker can be unloaded without interrupting the binding operation. All of these features allow the DigiCoil to produce up to 450 books an hour. DigiCoil binds pre-punched books using coil ranging from 8 mm to 33 mm with ease. For larger sized books, DigiCoil system features a two-sided book placement system. This allows the operator to easily handle two smaller sections of a larger document rather than one unmanageable book. DigiCoil’s ability to handle large sizes so effectively is due to its patented three-drive roller design. By controlling the element on three sides, the system assures that the coil will be inserted properly every time regardless of size. When it comes to binding a full range of sizes, DigiCoil is in a class by itself. As if all those features weren’t enough, the GBC DigiCoil has the ability to accommodate assorted stocks, index tabs and oversized covers.
The DigiCoil has standard power requirements and there is no need for an air line or compressor. Simply plug it in and begin production. Couple that with a small footprint and caster mounting to roll the system to your job or out of the way for storage and you’ve got a system that is hard to beat. GBC makes quality a number one priority. This means fewer breakdowns and significantly improved reliability. In the unlikely event that a problem does occur, you can count on GBC’s network of highly trained service technicians to quickly get your machine back up and running. This means you can depend on the DigiCoil even during crunch times when you can’t afford downtime and work stoppages. GBC cares about the safety of you and your employees. That’s why the DigiCoil was designed to ensure operator safety. Our commitment to your safety has led us to obtain safety agency approval for the DigiCoil. You can rest easy knowing that the DigiCoil has received the full approval from many respected agencies.
GBC DigiCoil Automatic Color Coil Inserter Review
- The GBC Digicoil is a high volume automatic spiral coil inserting machine that is designed for organizations that need to bind thousands of documents per week with color coil binding.
- It is designed to automate the inserting, cutting and crimping process for your documents. This makes it possible to finish a book using spiral coil binding in a matter of seconds.
- Ideally paired with a high speed auto punching machine, the Digicoil is the fastest method for binding spiral coil documents.
Strengths / Features:
- The GBC Digicoil offers incredible speed and productivity. In fact, you can bind up to 450 books per hour using 10mm coil and up to 250 books per hour using 30mm coil. All you need to do is place your document onto the machine and feed your coil into the side of the machine. The Digicoil will insert the coil through the holes and will cut and crimp the ends of your spine giving you a fully finished professional document.
- This machine is capable of handling a large variety of document sizes. It can be used for items with a binding edge as small as 4.25" or as long as 14.5". This means that it is compatible with letter size, legal size, A4, A6, landscape and half letter size documents.
- The Digicoil is designed for use with coils that are as small as 8mm and as large as 33mm in diameter. Each size of coil uses a special set of spine formers that come with the machine. Switching the size of coil that you are going to use only takes about two minutes. You simply need to install the correct spine formers and set the knife height adjustment.
Weaknesses / Limitations:
- This machine is only designed to work with 4:1 pitch spiral coil. It cannot be used with 5:1, 3:1 or 2.5:1 pitch spirals. For most organizations this is not a huge issue since four to one pitch coil is by far the most common type used for binding documents. Still, this is an important limitation to note.
- The Digicoil is also limited in the sizes of documents that it can bind. The largest diameter of coil that this machine can accept is 33mm. The smallest diameter of coil that it can accept is 8mm. However, the Digicoil is not capable of handling all of the sizes between 8mm and 33mm. It includes spine formers for the most common coil sizes between these two diameters (mostly even numbered sizes). For most organizations the difference between 1mm is not a huge issue. However, this can be an issue for some users who are especially picky about the sizes of coil that they use.
- In order to use the Digicoil your paper must be punched with a 4:1 pitch oval hole 0.2475 hole pattern. Attempting to use this machine with any other hole pattern will not work. Fortunately, dies are available for all of the GBC automated binding punches as well as their modular interchangeable die systems. However, dies for this hole pattern are usually more expensive than standard round hole spiral coil die sets.
- With a pricetag over $25,000 this machine only makes sense for the highest volume spiral coil binding users. Users who need to bind a few thousand books per month will probably have a hard time justifying the ROI of this piece of equipment. However, users who bind several thousand documents per week can probably save enough money in labor to pay for this machine in less than a year.
- Organizations that need to bind thousands of documents per day or per week will find that the return on investment offered by the Digicoil is excellent.
- The automated inserting, cutting and crimping offered by this machine offers amazing productivity in high volume environments.
- However, users who are considering this machine will want to make sure that the Digicoil can handle the sheet sizes and coil diameters that they need to use.
- It is also important to remember that this is only a coil inserter and it needs to be paired with either a high speed punch or pre-punched paper in order to realize its full potential for productivity.
This review was written by Jeff McRitchie who is the director of marketing for Mybinding.com. Jeff has written more than three hundred articles and more than two hundred reviews on Binding Machines, Binding Supplies, Report Covers, 3-Ring Binders, Index Tabs, Laminators, Laminating Supplies, Paper Shredders and Paper Handling Equipment.