Akiles DuoMac 531 5:1 Coil and 3:1 Wire Binding Machine (AKDUOMAC531)
- With two independent punching die sets, this versatile & easy to use combo binder allows you to punch & bind multiple systems and or different pitches.
- Punch handles
- Punch Throat & Ruler
- Depth Margin Control: Provides the correct punch margin depth for each wire/comb size. Maximizes document tear resistance.
- Open Punching Throat & Continuous Punching Guide: For an easy alignment & punching of longer documents.
- Wire Closer Control: With continuous adjusting scale for an exact and secure closure every time
- Master Selector: Determines the correct: Wire Diameter, Closing Position, Depth Margin & Wire Pitch
- Diameter Scale: Measures document's thickness in order to select best wire/comb size option.
- Wire Holder: Holds wire in place for easier inserting of sheets
- Waste Drawer
- Vertical Wire Closer
- Side Margin Control: Provides and evenly Centered punch for all document sizes.
- Die Disengagement Pins: All dies can be independently disengaged, allows punching of any size document while preventing partial side-end perforation
- Wire Closer Handle
- Comb Opener Handle
- Heavy-Duty design by CAE (Computer-Aided Engineering) technology
- Perfect for Bindery, Print Shop, Copy Center, Corporation, Advertising Agency, School, Office and more!
- Don't forget to choose from the wide selection of AKILES textured & color-coordinated Polycovers & Coil, Wire or Plastic Comb binding elements, to ensure your documents have a lasting impression!
- FREE coil crimpers with any Coil combination.
- Comb Spreader with any Comb combination.
- Built-in Wire closer with any combination.
- Electric inserter sold separately
- Comb combination is compatible with Spiral-O wire binding spines
- Single punching capacity: up to 20 sheets (20lbs paper/ letter size)
- Single punching length: 14" (13" for coil) - with Open Ends for longer sizes
- 100% disengagement dies - wire & comb (5 for Coil)
- Weight: 64lbs
- Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
Welcome to MyBinding video. This is a look at Akiles' DuoMac 531, a 5:1 coil and 3:1 twin loop wire binding machine. Two different binding styles in one machine adds for convenience and flexibility. It's heavy duty and built to be used a lot and for a long time.
Let's begin with a demonstration on binding with 5:1 spiral coil. Using some scrap paper, let's set the side margin control; this knob allows for all punches to be consistent throughout your project. The long lever arm makes the punch. Now you can see if your holes are just the way you need them. This 5:1 set up has five different disengageable dies to be used with the most common paper sizes. Simply pull the pin and there is no punch there. On the side of the machine is a depth of margin control knob. This allows you to make thinner or thicker margins depending upon the size project you're making.
When everything is set in place, you can make your punches. Let's begin with the covers. If you start face up, make sure all the project is face up. The long arm brings down and makes the punch. And the punch capacity of the 531 is 20 sheets of 20lb paper per lift.
When your project is all punched, assemble it together. It's time to bind. Now, use the spiral coil, 5:1 pitch, put it on the end, and wind it all the way through. You can do it by hand or use a separate coil inserter machine. Finish off the ends of your book with coil crimping pliers, clipping it nice and tight at the end.
There you go, a great looking spiral bound book with the DuoMac 531. Now let's make a book with a wire binding side of things. Again we start with scrap paper and use the side margin control knob to set our settings. We make our punch, look at our holes, and see if there's any adjustments we need to make, like pulling out any of the disengageable die pins so there are no half or mis-punched holes. All of the pins for the 3:1 wire binding are disengageable, allowing you to use virtually any size sheet of paper. This punching die set also has depth of margin control, so you can use thinner or thicker margins depending upon the thickness of your document.
With our settings in place, let's begin with the covers. If we start face up, we do the whole project face up. Punch through in small batches of up to 20 sheets of 20lb paper or less.
And now it's time to bind. Place that wire bind on the fence that's on the front of the machine with the small teeth face up. Then, a trick in wire binding is to take the back page and flip it over to the front page. That way the seam of the bind is hidden between the back cover and the back page. Then drape your project over the teeth of the spine, thread them all the way through, and pull it up and out. The wheel on the right hand side you spin and adjust the wire closer to the size wire that you're using. Place it in with the open side face down and close it up. With the wire closer set at the right size, it will close just enough to close it but no more. Turn your book inside out, you can see that seam is hidden in the inside back cover, and you're all set. All the chips go into the punched chip tray below.
That is the DuoMac 531 by Akiles. For more demos, reviews, and how-tos, check out MyBinding.com.
Akiles DuoMac 531 Combination 5:1 Pitch Coil and 3:1 Pitch Wire Binding Machine Review
As the only binding machine on the market with its particular set of features and options, the Akiles DuoMac 531 appears to hope that its versatility will provide binding solutions for businesses that want flexibility in their document production. Here is a rundown of what we consider to be some if the DuoMac 531's strengths and weaknesses.
- We liked how the DuoMac 531 gives the user the option of binding their documents using a five to one round hole, or a three to one pitch square hole pattern. Five to one pitch coil gives your documents a really nice, professional look, and one that not a lot of other businesses choose on a regular basis. The three to one pitch pattern is used for twin loop wire for the most part, and can provide a very elegant look for your presentations or proposals. You can also use that pattern for GBC Proclick, and with twin loop wire. Overall, we guess you could just say that we appreciate how the DuoMac 531 gives you some of the nicer options when it comes to in-house binding.
- The wire closer that is included on the DuoMac 531 is very high quality, and should last for years.
- On the right side of the DuoMac 531 there are a couple of small knobs that allow you to adjust the distance that the punch occurs from the edge of the sheet or sheets. Also known as depth of punch margin, this is a great feature that helps you to ensure the functionality and durability of your finished books. Different thicknesses need different depth margins to work correctly with different sized spines. Thicker documents, for instance, should be punched a little deeper so that they open easily and the pages are less likely to be accidentally torn from the book.
- Another great inclusion, we thought, was that the wire binding punch features fully disengageable dies, which allows it to handle any length of sheet up to fourteen inches. The open throat design also allows for longer sheets if you use a two step punching process.
- The little things count in this world, and we have to hand it to Akiles for including a pair of really nice spiral coil crimping pliers. They are only about a thirty dollar value, but are so essential to the process, that we can't imagine someone trying spiral coil binding without them.
- None of the binding styles that are allowed for this machine are not very useful for binding documents that are over an inch thick. That is more a limitation of the styles than this particular machine, but it is something that you should be aware of if you are going to be binding larger reports or documents on a regular basis.
- Spiral coil punch? Check. Spiral coil crimpers? Check. Spiral coil inserter? Not so fast. We suppose, though, that there are limitations to what every machine can include, so in this case you will have to find a standalone inserter to go along with the DuoMac 531 or insert the 5:1 pitch coil by hand.