Akiles DuoMac C21 Plastic Comb and 2:1 Wire Binding Machine (AKDUOMACC21)
- With two independent punching die sets, this versatile & easy to use combo binder allows you to punch & bind multiple systems and or different pitches.
- Punch handles
- Punch Throat & Ruler
- Depth Margin Control: Provides the correct punch margin depth for each wire/comb size. Maximizes document tear resistance.
- Open Punching Throat & Continuous Punching Guide: For an easy alignment & punching of longer documents.
- Wire Closer Control: With continuous adjusting scale for an exact and secure closure every time
- Master Selector: Determines the correct: Wire Diameter, Closing Position, Depth Margin & Wire Pitch
- Diameter Scale: Measures document's thickness in order to select best wire/comb size option.
- Wire Holder: Holds wire in place for easier inserting of sheets
- Waste Drawer
- Vertical Wire Closer
- Side Margin Control: Provides and evenly Centered punch for all document sizes.
- Die Disengagement Pins: All dies can be independently disengaged, allows punching of any size document while preventing partial side-end perforation
- Wire Closer Handle
- Comb Opener Handle
- Heavy-Duty design by CAE (Computer-Aided Engineering) technology
- Perfect for Bindery, Print Shop, Copy Center, Corporation, Advertising Agency, School, Office and more!
- Don't forget to choose from the wide selection of AKILES textured & color-coordinated Polycovers & Coil, Wire or Plastic Comb binding elements, to ensure your documents have a lasting impression!
- FREE coil crimpers with any Coil combination.
- Comb Spreader with any Comb combination.
- Built-in Wire closer with any combination.
- Electric inserter sold separately
- Comb combination is compatible with Spiral-O wire binding spines
- Single punching capacity: up to 20 sheets (20lbs paper/ letter size)
- Single punching length: 14" (13" for coil) - with Open Ends for longer sizes
- 100% disengagement dies - wire & comb (5 for Coil)
- Weight: 64lbs
- Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
Welcome to MyBinding's How To videos. This is easy assembly of the DuoMac C21. You've managed to get it out of the box, now you need to put it all together. Let's begin at the top and fasten the comb opener. You have two black rainbow-shaped brackets. Take the one with the "L" and place it on the left-hand side with the "L" facing in and screw it in with the Allen wrench. Do the same thing on the right side with the right bracket. Now take the entire assembly and set it atop the black brackets with the fence on the back side and again with the Allen wrench, fasten the bolts. The black handle with the metal shaft goes in either side, right or left, for right- or left-handed. Screw it right in; that's your lever to open and close the comb opener. Of the three levers provided, take one of the smaller ones and place it on the back post of the main unit. Twist it in with your hand and then with a quarter or a screwdriver, all the way in. Then, take the longest handle and place it on the more forward one. On the left-hand side, take the third and short handle and place it there. The two levers on the right are for punching holes, the one on the left is the wire closer. And that's it, that's how to assemble your C21. Happy binding! For more demos, reviews, and how tos on this product and many more, check out MyBinding.com.
Welcome to MyBinding video. Let's have a look at the DuoMac C21, a plastic comb and 2:1 pitch wire binding system by Akiles. Let's watch the C21 in action as it binds a wire-bound book. Using the top punching mechanism, set your side margin control knob so that all punches will be consistent throughout your entire project. If you're coming up with one or more half punches in your process, you may need to disengage one or more of the disengageable die pins so that it doesn't punch through the paper at that spot. Also, according to the thickness of your book, you may want to adjust the depth of margin as well. A thicker margin can handle a thicker book. With all your settings in place, let's start with the covers. Place them in punch-side down and punch away. Continue punching through the rest of your project, punching up to 20 pages of 20lb paper per punch. Once your book is all punched, let's organize it together. It's time to bind. To help you in wire spine size selection, use the grooves at the front of the machine. Place your entire project in the slot to see what size would be best for yours. Hang the wire on the fence in front so the teeth face up. A little trick in wire binding is to take the back page and flip it over so it faces the front page. Then the seam of the bind will be hidden in the back of the book. All at once or in smaller batches, drape your project over the teeth of the comb. Lift it up off and the "C" of the opening of the wire bind goes down into the closer. Use the wheel on the right side of the machine to set the closer to stop according to the size wire bind you're using. All set? Make your close. Push it all the way down until it stops, remove your book and you'll see the seam is on the inside of the back cover and you have a great looking bound book. You can dispose of the punched chips right from the tray on the front. That's easy wire binding on the C21. Check out our C21 comb binding as well. And for more demos and how tos, check out MyBinding.com.
Akiles DuoMac C21 Plastic Comb and 2:1 Wire Binding Machine Review
- The Akiles DuoMac-C21 is a dual purpose binding system designed for finished documents with plastic combs and 2:1 pitch double loop wire.
- This machine is an excellent choice for organizations that are looking for durability, versatility and reliability. It is capable of binding documents with five different styles of binding.
- The C21 is ideal for companies who are trying to decide the type of binding that is best suited to represent their image. It is also great for organizations that want to use different binding styles for their internal and external communications.
Strengths / Features:
- The DuoMac-C21 includes the ability to punch two different hole patterns. It can produce rectangular holes for use with plastic comb binding and a 2:1 pitch rectangular hole pattern for use with double loop wire. With these two punching patterns it is possible to use this machine with five different binding styles including: Plastic Comb Binding, GBC Zipbind, Spiral-O Wire Combs, 2:1 Pitch Twin Loop Wire, and 2.5:1 pitch spiral coil. This makes this machine one of the most versatile binding machines available anywhere.
- The C21 has a high quality plastic comb opener that is designed for use with all of the different sizes of GBC style plastic comb binding supplies. It also has a highly durable wire closer that can close twin loop wire and spiral-o wires up to 1-1/4" in diameter. With these two finishing devices, the Duomac-C21 provides a wide assortment of binding options for both small and large sized documents.
- The Akiles DuoMac C21 is a legal sized binding machine. Both the plastic comb and 2:1 pitch wire punch are fourteen inches in length and have fully disengageable punching pins. This means that they can easily be set up to punch any length of document up to fourteen inches. Plus, the throats for both punches are open ended which allows for punching longer documents using a two step punching process.
- The DuoMac-C21 is constructed of heavy duty, high quality metal components. Like all of the Akiles binding machines it comes with a full one year warranty. However, most users will never need to use the warranty. These machines are highly durable and rarely have any problems.
Weaknesses / Limitations:
- The Akiles DuoMac C21 combines a huge number of features into one system. However in adding all of these features to the machine, the system naturally grew in size. The DuoMac C21 has a fairly large footprint and is a substantial binding machine. The system has four different handles and a number of knobs. This can be somewhat intimidating for users who have never seen a binding machine before. Luckily everything is labeled fairly well and most individuals can figure things out with a little bit of effort.
- Although this system is capable of binding your documents with a number of different binding styles, it is not a replacement for an interchangeable die modular binding system. This machine is designed for light to moderate binding use. Organizations that need to bind more than about fifty documents per week will probably find the manual nature of this machine tedious. In fact, high volume users should really consider an electric punch with standalone finishing equipment.
- The DuoMac C21 is capable of binding documents with five different binding styles. However each binding style has its own limitations. Depending on the style of binding that you pick the price, available colors and selection of sizes will vary. This is something that you will want to investigate before deciding on a particular binding style.
- The Akiles DuoMac-C21 is a great choice for companies that are looking to bind documents with multiple binding styles. It offers the ability to bind documents that are both thin and thick and can help in creating professional presentations, proposals, documents and reports.
- This system can be used with up to five different styles of binding. However, each style has its own strengths and weaknesses. Still, it provides the versatility that your organization needs to create a wide variety of bound materials for internal and external use.
- The DuoMac C21 is constructed of high quality metal components that help to ensure its reliability and durability.
- However, this machine is still a manual binding system and is not ideal for high volume production applications. Print shops and binderies that produce hundreds of documents a day should look for a interchangeable die modular binding system with standalone finishing equipment.
If you need more information or would like to purchase the Akiles DuoMac C21 Plastic Comb and 2:1 Wire Binding Machine or any of the other Combination Binding Machines that we carry please feel to visit our site or contact us with your questions.
This review was written by Jeff McRitchie who is the director of marketing for Mybinding.com. Jeff has written more than three hundred articles and more than two hundred reviews on Binding Machines, Binding Supplies, Report Covers, 3-Ring Binders, Index Tabs, Laminators, Laminating Supplies, Paper Shredders and Paper Handling Equipment.