- Model NameModelPunching OperationPitchPunching LengthDisengaging DiesHole PunchBinding ThicknessSingle Punching CapacityCloser SelectorClosing MechanismMaster SelectorMetal Wire SnatchWire Diameter ScaleSide Margins ControlPunching Margin ControlWeight / Volume
- Akiles WireMac 2:1Manual2:114" (27 dies)All 27Rectangular (0.157" x 0.217")From 3/16" to 1-1/4"Up to 20 sheets (20 lbs)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded45 lbs / 2.55 CbFt
- Akiles WireMac 3:1Manual3:1 / 2:114" (40 dies) / 14" (27 dies)All 40 / All 27Square 0.157"x0.157"
0.157" x 0.217"From 3/16" to 9/16" / From 5/8" to 1-1/4"Up to 20 sheets (20 lbs)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded45 lbs / 2.55 CbFt
- Akiles WireMac-Duo ComboManual3:1, 3 holes per 1" / 2:1, 2 holes per 1"14" with open throats for longer documents.40 dies / 27 diesSquare 4mm x 4mm / Rectangular 4mm x 5.5mm3/16" - 9/16" / 5/8 - 1-1/4"20 sheets of 20 lbs bond paperIncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded53 Lbs & 2.22 CbFt
- Akiles WireMac-EX 2:1Electric (Foot Pedal)2:114" with open throat for longer documentsAll 27Rectangle (4 x 5.5 mm)3/16" to 1-1/4"Up to 25 sheets (20 lbs. paper)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded55 lbs./ 19" W x 16" D x 16" H
- Akiles WireMac-EX 3:1Electric (Foot Pedal)3:114" with open throat for longer documentsAll 40Square (4mm x 4mm)3/16" to 9/16"Up to 25 sheets (20 lbs. paper)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded55 lbs./ 19" W x 16" D x 16" H
- Akiles WireMac E 2:1Electric (Foot Pedal)2:114" with open throat for longer documentsAll 53 diesRectangular 4mm x 5.5mm1/4" - 1-1/4"Up to 20 sheets (20 lbs paper)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded72 lbs & 2.92 CbFt
- Akiles WireMac E 3:1Electric (Foot Pedal)3:114" with open throat for longer documentsAll 40Square 4mm x 4mm3/16" - 9/16"Up to 20 sheets (20 lbs paper)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded72 lbs & 2.92 CbFt
Akiles WireMac 2:1 Manual Double Loop Wire Binding Machine (AKWIREMAC21)
- Heavy-Duty Design
- 20 sheets single punching capacity (20 lbs paper).
- 2:1 Pitch
- 14" width punching capacity with open sides for even wider documents.
- All dies can be independently disengaged, to allow the punching of any size document while preventing partial side-end perforation.
- Closing capacity: From 3/16" to 1 1/4"
- All metal construction.
- Model: WireMac-21
- Pitch: 2:1
- Punching Length: 14" (27 dies)
- Disengaging Dies: All 27
- Hole Punch: Rectangular (0.157" x 0.217")
- Binding Thickness: From 3/16" to 1-1/4"
- Single Punching Capacity: Up to 20 sheets (20 lbs)
- Closer Selector: Included
- Closing Mechanism: Vertical
- Master Selector: Included
- Metal Wire Snatch: Included
- Wire Diameter Scale: Included
- Side Margins Control: Included
- Punching Margin Control: Included
- Weight / Volume: 45 lbs / 2.55 CbFt
- Warranty: 1 year
First, set your side margin control so that all your punches will be consistent throughout your entire project. Should you have half holes or holes too close to the margin, you can select any of the removable die pins to pull out and therefore punches won't be made there. And according to the thickness of your book, you may want to adjust the depth of margin control ... Read More
Welcome to MyBinding video. Let's have a look at the WireMac 21, a manual 2:1 pitch twin loop wire binding system by Akiles. Binding with wire and making great looking books is easy with the WireMac 21. Let's watch it in action.
First, set your side margin control so that all your punches will be consistent throughout your entire project. Should you have half holes or holes too close to the margin, you can select any of the removable die pins to pull out and therefore punches won't be made there. And according to the thickness of your book, you may want to adjust the depth of margin control knob. If it's a large book, you may need a larger margin. With settings in place, it's time to make your book. Beginning with the covers, slide them into the throat of the machine and punch down. Continue on through the rest of your pages. The WireMac 21 can punch up to 20 sheets of 20lb paper per lift. When all pages are punched, gather your book together. It's time to bind.
Pressing here on this lid opens a pinch that holds the wire in place. A simple trick in wire binding is to flip the back page over so that it faces the front page. That way in the end, the seam of the bind is hidden inside the book. Drape your project over the teeth of the spine, making sure all teeth go through all the holes. Then remove your book and make adjustments to the closer. With the dial on the top of the machine, you can set a stop for the closer so it won't over close your spine. And be sure to switch around the closer block to the same setting. There are quite a few adjustments to make to be sure. However, this machine is built to do many copies of the same book. And now take the open spine of your book and with the "C" opening facing down, put it into the closer and close the bind. Press down all the way to the stop and remove your book. You'll notice that the seam of the bind is hidden between the back cover and the back page and you have a great looking book. There it is, that's all there is to it. That's 2:1 pitch loop wire binding on the Akiles WireMac 21. For more demos, reviews, and how tos on this product and many more, check out MyBinding.com.
Akiles WireMac M Manual Double Loop Wire Binding Machine Review
- The Akiles Wiremac M is one of the most popular double loop wire binding machines available on the market.
- This machine is available with either a 2:1 pitch punching pattern or a 3:1 pitch punching pattern. You will need to choose the model that best fits your binding needs.
- Both models include a number of great features including a heavy duty wire closer, sturdy metal construction, a wire holder to help you hang your documents, and fully disengageable dies.
- These features make the Wiremac M perfect for the small to medium sized company that wants to bind their own documents using
Strengths / Features:
- The Akiles Wiremac M is available with your choice of either a 2:1 pitch (2 holes per inch) or 3:1 pitch (3 holes per inch) punching pattern. The 3:1 pitch hole pattern is designed for use with twin loop wire spines from 3/16″ up to 9/16″ and can also be used with GBC Proclick and 3:1 pitch spiral coil spines. The 2:1 pitch punch can be used with wires from 5/8″ up to 1-1/4″ and can also be used with special 2:1 pitch small sized wire. Depending on the size of your documents that you want to bind, you will need to select the hole pattern that best fits your need when you purchase the Wiremac M.
- The WireMac M includes a legal sized punching throat and fully disengageable dies. This means that this machine can be used to punch letter size, legal size, half letter, A4 and any custom sized documents less than fourteen inches in length. It also has an open throat for punching longer documents using a two step punch process.
- Both versions of the Wiremac M have a heavy duty wire closer that is designed to take the “C” shaped wire spines and close them so that they are round. The wire closer on the Akiles Wiremac is controlled by a convenient knob located on the top of the machine and is made from heavy duty steel components. This helps to ensure that the wire closer will close documents consistently even after years of use.
- The WireMac has a clamp style wire holder on the front of the machine. This is designed to hold the binding spine in place while you hang the pages on it.
- The Akiles Wiremac has a manual punching mechanism that is capable of punching up to 20 sheets of 20lb paper per lift. This is a fairly good punching capacity for a machine of this type and price range.
Weaknesses / Limitations:
- Although the WireMac has a decent punching capacity, it is still a manual punch. Users who need to bind large volumes of documents or need to bind large documents quickly should really consider an electric punch to improve productivity and efficiency.
- Although the wire holder on the front of this machine is better than having no holding device, wire binding machines with hooks to hang the wires on tend to be easier to use. The hooks help to prevent the wire from becoming deformed during the inserting process. Learning how to use the clamp style Wiremac can be a little bit tricky.
- As was mentioned above, you need to choose either a 2:1 or a 3:1 pitch hole pattern when you buy this machine. The choice that you make will limit the supplies that you are able to use. Many organizations can settle on one machine or the other. However, users who need the flexibility to bind multiple sized presentations and reports may want to look at a machine that can produce both hole patterns such as the Wiremac Duo Combo.
- The Akiles Wiremac manual combo is an ideal choice for small and medium sized organizations that need to bind a few documents on a daily basis.
- It offers a high quality manual punch, heavy duty metal construction, a durable wire closer and fully disengageable dies. All of these are features that are essential in a high quality wire binding system.
- However, users who need to bind large numbers of documents or who need to bind a wide variety of document thicknesses may want to consider either an electric binding machine or a machine that can punch both 2:1 and 3:1 pitch hole patterns.
This review was written by Jeff McRitchie who is the director of marketing for Mybinding.com Jeff has written more than three hundred articles and more than two hundred reviews on Binding Machines, Binding Supplies, Report Covers, 3-Ring Binders, Index Tabs, Laminators, Laminating Supplies, Paper Shredders and Paper Handling Equipment.