Fellowes Pulsar E Electric Comb Binding Machine (5216701)
- Effortless electric operation - just push the button to punch!.
- Punches up to 15 sheets at a time.
- Binds up to 300 sheets with a 1-1/2” comb.
- Allows user to punch & bind continuously for maximum productivity.
- Loads vertically for accurate punch alignment.
- Enhanced accuracy edge guide for pinpoint punch alignment.
- Includes comb storage tray, document measurement tool, and binding starter pack (contents: 10 pk assorted kit).
- Item Number: 5216701
- Model Number: PULSAR E
- Color: White
- Material Type: Plastic/Metal
- Qty Per Pack: 1
- Item H x W x D (inches): 5.13 x 16.94 x 15.38
- Application: Small Office
- Usage: Moderate
- Ready Light/Binding Light: N/A
- Vertical Punching: Yes
- Binding Type: Plastic Comb
- Three-hole Punch: No
- Binding Element Selector: Yes
- Punching Type: Electric
- Punching Capacity: Capacity of 15 Sheets
- Binding Capacity: 300
- Beep at the End of Binding Cycle: N/A
- Auto Shutoff: N/A
- Removable Binding System: No
- Warranty: 2 Yr
Welcome to MyBinding video. This is a demonstration of the Pulsar E 300, an electric comb binding machine by Fellowes. The Pulsar E 300 is as smooth looking as it is functioning. Let's watch it in action.
Turn it on with the power switch in the back and open the front cover. After practicing a little bit, grab your covers and slide them into the slot. Use the side margin control knob to adjust your margins so that all your punches are consistent through out your whole project. Tidy it all up. When the green light is lit up, the machine is ready to go. Press the button; make your punch. Continue on with the rest of your projects, punching holes in all your papers. Punch capacity is 15 sheets of 20lb paper or less. Keep that in mind when you're making your batches.
When your project is all punched, gather it together and order it up. It's time for binding. Pull out the small in the base at the right side of the machine. There you can store some combs as well as have a handy measuring tool to select the right size comb. Slide your completed project into the slot to determine which size is best for your book. Then get the corresponding comb. Then place the comb over the teeth of the machine, making sure that the comb teeth are faced up. The project is always faced down. This assures the project will not come apart in use. Place the teeth through all the punched holes, fold it down, close the teeth of the comb, remove your project. The Pulsar 300 can handle quarter inch to one and a half inch in diameter plastic combs. There's a chip tray just below the machine; you can dispose of all the punched chips when your projects are done. Included in the box is a free starter kit of comb binding supplies and you're on your way with the Pulsar E 300. For more demos and reviews of this product and many more, check out MyBinding.com.
It is a very simple machine to use. There's one power switch in the back and you lift the cover, going from storage to operation in one step. On the left hand side there is a margin control knob, which is helpful for keeping consistent punches throughout your project; however this particular knob and mechanism isn't as stro ... Read More
Welcome to MyBinding video. This is a demonstration of the Pulsar E 300, an electric comb binding machine by Fellowes. The Pulsar E 300 is the least expensive Fellowes electric punch comb binding machine on the market. Let's review its features while watching it in action.
It is a very simple machine to use. There's one power switch in the back and you lift the cover, going from storage to operation in one step. On the left hand side there is a margin control knob, which is helpful for keeping consistent punches throughout your project; however this particular knob and mechanism isn't as strong as it could be. The punch button is conveniently located on the front of the machine, just to the right. A green light means it's ready to go. Punch capacity is always of utmost concern for any punching machine. This one claims to handle 15 sheets of 20lb paper per lift. However, when we tried it out, we couldn't even get 15 sheets into the slot; it was more like 12. And then it worked beautifully.
When it comes to the binding step, the Pulsar E 300 has a couple of helpful features. There's a stowaway tray on the right side of the machine that holds a few combs, and just a few at that. There's also a very handy scale inside on which you can determine what size comb you need for your project. It's just a matter of sliding your project and the comb in the right slot.
The comb opener is made of metal, both the teeth as well as the lever, which is good for longevity. And although the machine is mostly made of plastic, it does seem to be built very solidly and works without flaw. For waste and chip disposal, there's a small, also stowaway, chip tray on the right hand side where the chips fall. Fellowes typically includes a free starter pack of comb binding supplies with each machine.
All in all, we like the Pulsar E 300. It's great for small to medium sized office with a moderate amount of comb binding to do. And at a price of just over $250, it's a great bet. For other reviews and demos of this product and many more, check out MyBinding.com.
Fellowes Pulsar E Electric Comb Binding Machine Review
- The Fellowes Pulsar-E is the least expensive electric plastic comb binding machine that is offered by Fellowes.
- It is an electric version of the manual Pulsar 300 comb binding machine with virtually all of the same features.
- This machine has a distinctive and stylish contemporary look that is designed to fit inside a small or medium sized office environment.
Strengths / Features:
- The Fellowes Pulsar E offers a sleek, smooth design that folds closed when the machine is not in use. This makes it easy to store the machine and helps the machine blend in with other office equipment inside your organization. Since this machine has an electric punching mechanism, it doesn't need a punching handle. This makes Pulsar-E even more compact and makes it less obtrusive.
- This machine offers a slide out drawer that will hold plastic binding combs for easy accessability. This slide out drawer also has a measuring device that allows you to measure the size of the combs inside the drawer. The measuring guide also allows you to select the correct size of comb for your document or project.
- This machine offers a punching capacity of 15 sheets per punch. Although there are many binding machines available on the market that can punch than the Pulsar-E, for the price this is a very respectable punching capacity. Plus, the electric punching mechanism allows you to increase productivity in punching and binding your documents.
- The comb opener included on the Fellowes Pulsar Electric binding machine uses metal hooks and metal fingers. When looking for a low end binding machine, it is important to choose one with a metal comb opener. Comb binding machines that use plastic comb openers will easily break leaving the machine virtually useless.
Weaknesses / Limitations:
- One limitation of this machine is that the comb opener is only designed to handle plastic combs up to 1-1/2" in diameter. Plastic comb binding spines are available in sizes up to 2 inches. However, the Pulsar-E is not compatible with 1-3/4" or 2" plastic binding combs. Organizations that need to bind documents with these large thicknesses will really need to consider a larger comb binding machine.
- This machine is designed for binding 8.5" x 11" letter size documents. Although this is adequate for many organizations, this machine is not a good fit for users who need to punch or bind other sheet sizes. Companies who need to bind half letter sized sheets, legal sized documents or A4 length documents will need to choose a binding machine with disengageable punching pins.
- Although this binding machine is electric and offers a great design, it is important to remember that it is still made primarily out of plastic. This unit is designed for small and medium sized offices that do occasional binding. High volume users really need to consider a larger, more durable binding system with industrial metal components.
- The Pulsar-E electric comb binding machine is an excellent choice for small and medium sized offices.
- This machine offers a compact, sleek design that will blend into an office environment.
- However, larger offices or higher volume users will most likely find this machine is too small to meet their needs.
- It is also not a good choice for organizations that need to bind thick documents or custom sized sheets.
Compare to Similar Comb Binding Machines
|Model Name||PULSAR E™||PULSAR™ +||STAR™+||STARLET™ 2+|
|Application||Small Office||Small Office||Small Office||Personal|
|Punching Capacity||20 Sheets||20 Sheets||15 Sheets||12 Sheets|
|Binding Capacity||300 Sheets||300 Sheets||150 Sheets||120 Sheets|
|Adjustable Edge Guide||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Binding Element Selector||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Dimensions||5.12" x 16.93" x 15.37"||5.12" x 18.12" x 15.37"||3.12" x 17.68" x 9.81"||5.5" x 19.5" x 8"|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years||2 years|