Swingline ClassicCut Pro 18" Guillotine Trimmer - Guillotine Cutters (SWI-9118)
- Trimmer is perfect for creating clean, professional looking cuts on papers, photos, artwork and more
- Durable wood base withstands heavy use and keeps the trimmer stable during cutting
- Metal cutting arm with guillotine blade swings open and closed to effortlessly make straight cuts on photos and documents
- Blade self sharpens during use so trimmer continues to make clean cuts on every job
- Alignment grid and dual scale ruler ensure cuts are always exact
- Guard rail keeps fingers safely away from blade while the trimmer is in use
- Blade latch hook keeps the trimmer arm locked in place while not in use
- 18" cutting length is ideal for most common trimming projects
- Cuts up to 15 sheets at once
- Limited 10 year warranty
- Cutting Length: 18"
- Detailed Color: Graphite
- Material: Wood
- Period of Warranty: Limited 10-year
- Safety Features: Protective Guard Rail, Blade Latch Hook
- Sheet Capacity (20 lb paper): 15
- Trimmer Type: Guillotine
Swingline ClassicCut Pro 18" Guillotine Trimmer Review
The ClassicCut Pro 18" from Swingline is a paper trimmer with a lot of features for the price. Here are a few what we see as this machine's features and limitations.
Strengths and Features:
The ClassicCut Pro 18" has a sheet cutting capacity of 15 pages of 20lb paper per pass. This is a pretty impressive number for a low to medium volume trimmer, and it appears to be able to reach it without much trouble. It should be noted however, that, as with any paper trimmer on the market, you are generally going to get better results (as in cleaner, more precise cuts) if you do most of your work below a given machine's stated capacity. Not that any manufacturers would grossly overstate a machine's capabilities or anything, it just seems to be an industry-wide stance to state the number of pages a trimmer can grind through, not necessarily cut cleanly and precisely.
The overall construction of the ClassicCut Pro 18" is pretty good for a machine in its class as well. The cutting surface is made of wood (though it is a particulate rather than a solid chunk), and the cutting arm is made of metal, where you will find plastic on all too many of the other trimmers in its class. There are also rugged rubber feet included that do a good job of keeping the machine from slipping during use.
The long blade of the ClassicCut Pro 18" makes it a great fit for users who work with all sorts of paper sizes. It can handle the most common, such as letter and legal (and smaller) with ease, but it can also work with larger paper sizes as well, and it's always a good thing to have that extra flexibility in your favor.
The cutting surface of the ClassicCut Pro 18" has a handy grid that helps you align your pages for more accurate cutting. There's a ruler as well that has measurements in both the imperial and metric systems.
The blade of the ClassicCut Pro 18" is stainless steel, and is self sharpening.
With guillotine paper cutters, safety is always something you want to pay attention to. The ClassicCut Pro 18" has three safety features worth mentioning: a latch that locks the blade down when the machine is not in use; a guard rail to keep fingers out of the way of the blade; and a spring and washer system that holds the blade in any position, and keeps it from falling unexpectedly.
Weaknesses and Limitations:
As stated above, for the cleanest cuts, you may want to stay below the stated sheet capacity of 15. Another reason for that is that there is no paper clamp or backstop mechanism to hold the paper as you do your cutting.
Even with the safety features, guillotine paper trimmers are not machines that should be used in a school setting or by children in general, unless they are being closely supervised.