Akiles WBM532 Modular Wire Closer - Open Box
- Stand Alone Design: The WBM532 modular unit is designed to also work as a stand alone unit, thus no additional "holding device" is required.
- Open-ended Closing Channel: allows closing of wires in any length, including those wires longer than 14".
- Wire Closer Control: provides fast & accurate setup of the wire closer. Gradual adjustment guarantees a perfect wire closing result, regardless of the type of wire being used.
- Closing Mechanism: Vertical
- Built-in Wire Holder: holds the wire in position, so that punched sheets can be easily & quickly inserted into the duowire. Works with both 3:1 & 2:1 pitch wires.
- Built-in Diameter Size Selector: measures document's thickness, in order to determine the best wire size option.
- User-friendly Design and Heavy-duty All Metal Construction: guarantee maximum productivity and durability.
- Model: WBM-532 - Modular Wire Closer
- Max. Binding Thickness: Any length (single binding length up to 14")
- Closing Mechanism: Vertical
- Wire Closer Control: Yes
- Built-in Wire Holder: Yes
- Built-in Diameter Size Selector: Yes
- Heavy-duty: All metal construction
- Weight: 27 lbs
- Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
Welcome to MyBinding video. Let’s have a look at the Akiles WBM532 modular wire closer. The final step of wire binding a book is to close the wire. This modular unit allows you to do that as a separate step. With your document ready to be bound, slide it into the grooves in the front of the machine to help you discern what size wire bind you need. Take that bind and drape it over the fence in the front. A little trick in wire binding to hide the seam is to take the back cover and flip it over so the back faces the front. And then, all together or in smaller batches, drape your project over the teeth of the spine, making sure they all go through all of the holes. Lift the book then up off the fence. Now with the spine, take the “C” shape, the opening, and place it down into the groove. You can rest your book along the fence for this next adjustment. Spin the dial on the left-hand side to set the stop for the closer according to your wire spine size. And then close it down all the way until the stop makes you stop. Remove your book and you’re all done. The spine is hidden between the back cover and the back page and you’ve got a great looking book. And there it is, the Akiles WBM532. For more demos, reviews, and how tos on this product and many more, check out MyBinding.com.
Akiles WBM532 Modular Wire Closer Review
Working with wire binding spines can be tricky due to the variation in sizes, thickness, and pitch. One device that can help you out when you need to work with them is a modular wire closer. A machine such as this easily closes your spines after you’ve punched your pages, leading to the production of a first-rate document. A new product that can do this for you is the Akiles WBM532 Modular Wire Closer. Here are this particular product’s strengths and weaknesses.
- The WBM532 can handle all types and sizes of wire binding spines. It can work just as easily with Spiral-O spines as it can with twin-loop ones, and you can close spines with both 3:1 and 2:1 pitches. And, whether your document requires a 3/16″ spine or a large 1-inch one, it doesn’t matter because this device will close them all.
- This device has a 14-inch throat which can accept both legal- and letter-sized paper. However, it can also close wires that are longer than 14 inches if you need to work with larger spines.
- Each unit is a standalone device meaning that you don’t need an additional product to hold the spine for you as you work. There is an integrated wire holder that will hold on to your spine when you bind. The closing mechanism is vertical, so the holder will really make your work a lot easier.
- The WBM532 has a spine selector so you can measure your document, see how thick (or thin) it is, and then choose the spine that’s just the right size for your needs. This feature is located right on the front of the unit for easy access.
- An integrated closer control apparatus guarantees that each spine will be closed quickly and properly.
- This device has all-metal components which makes it very durable and able to withstand rather heavy-duty use.
- Since the WBM532 is just a closer, you will obviously need a punch to use in conjunction with this device. Plus, it will only work with wire spines, so you can’t use plastic combs or other types of binding supplies with this product.
- The handle is placed on the right side of the device, so left-handed users could encounter some difficulties when trying to operate this closer. This is disappointing because Akiles’ Modular Comb Opener (model #CBM650) has an ambidextrous design so that users can place the handle on whichever side of the device is more convenient for them.
- This unit is pretty expensive, especially since you’ll need an additional machine to produce your documents. The WBM532 is priced in the $300.00 range and while that price is somewhat justified due to the machine’s capabilities and construction, this price might be too high for some businesses.
As you can see, the WBM532 can make life easier for you thanks to its ability to handle just about every type of wire spine under the sun and its top-notch, all-metal construction. However, you will need to have a hole punch handy, and hopefully the handle’s placement won’t bother you too much, nor will the price. If that’s the case, this Akiles wire closer would be a great purchase for you to make.
If you’re interested in buying the Akiles WBM532 Wire Closer, you should really visit MyBinding.com. They have this great product, as well as a wonderful selection of Wire Binding Machines, and they’re all available at low prices. Plus, they offer free shipping on all orders over $75.00. Check it out for yourself today!