Sorry, but Fellowes Powershred C-480 Strip Cut Paper Shredder is no longer available to buy.
We think you might like one of these instead:
Fellowes Powershred C-480 Strip Cut Paper Shredder
- Auto Start/Stop: Yes - Electronic
- Basket Capacity (gallons): 37.5
- Can Shred: Paper, Staples, Credit Cards, Small Paper Clips, CDs
- Casters: Yes
- Color: GRAY/BLACK
- Continuous Run Time (minutes): Continuous
- Item Number: 38480
- Cut Size: 7/32"
- Cut Type: Strip Cut
- DIN Level: 2
- Item H x W x D (inches): 38" x 25" x 20"
- Jam Technology: Auto Stop on Jamming,Turbo Jam Release
- Noise Level at Capacity (dB): 62
- Oil Technology: N/A
- Motor Size (HP): 1.9
- Paper Entry Width: 16"
- Suggested Price: $2,949.00
- SCS Code: 10077511384803
- Sheet Capacity: 36-38
- Safety Features: Interlock Switch
- Motor Reverse: Yes
- Speed (Feet Per Minute): 20
- Warranty: 3 Year Manufacturer, Lifetime on Cutting Cylinders
- UPC Code: 077511384806
Fellowes C-480 Commercial Strip Cut Paper Shredder Review
When you are looking for a high use shredder for your office, there are many manufacturers, models and features out there to consider. If you are a large business and you manage a significant amount of paper, you will want a shredder that is capable of getting the job done. Here, we will take a look at one of Fellowes’ offerings for commercial-grade shredders, the C-480. We took a look at its features as compared to some of its companions at Fellowes, and found it to be a good, if not great option for most high-volume shredding needs. Here are some of the C-480’s pros and cons:
- Paper jams are always a potential problem with shredders. Especially in a high use environment, there is no way of making sure that every user will know the capacity of the shredder he or she is using, and may well try to stuff too many sheets into the feed. The C-480 comes equipped with what Fellowes calls a Turbo Jam Release, this features seems to be quite effective at powering through paper jams.
- The paper feed opening of sixteen inches is a nice feature, and one to consider if you will be shredding documents of larger sizes on a regular basis.
- The three year warranty is one of the better ones in the industry, and as with most of Fellowes’ machines, the cutters are guaranteed for life.
- The sheet capacity is impressive, as the C-480 purports to be able to handle thirty six to thirty eight pages at a time.
- The C-480 is designed for continuous use, meaning you will not have to give the machine periods of rest as you would with many other shredders.
- The first and most glaring weakness of the C-480 is that it is a strip cut machine, meaning that the paper is cut into long strips rather than the confetti-like cuts of cross cut shredders. This is fine for just basic shredding, but does not offer the appropriate amount of security for your more confidential information.
- Unlike its big brother, the C-480C the C-480 does not include some of the features we’ve come to appreciate about Fellowes machines, such as:
- Jam Proof System that automatically senses the thickness of the paper, and lets the user know when too much paper is being fed into the machine.
- Auto Oil system. You will need to make sure that you oil the C-480 periodically. This is not uncommon for shredders, but for a high-use environment, could prove inconvenient (and costly, if you forget) in the long run.
- SafeSense. This is Fellowes’ innovative system that electronically detects any hands or fingers that are too close to the paper feed and ceases machine function immediately. It seems like a great idea, especially for a high usage machine that is placed in a heavily trafficked area.
Over all, the C-480 is a solid, if unspectacular commercial grade shredder. Seeing as how it is a strip cut shredder, we can’t recommend it for destroying documents that require a high level of security. For general use, though, in a high traffic area, the C-480 should perform well, especially considering its remarkable 36 to 38 sheet capacity, and its ability to stand up to continuous use.