Sorry, but Formax FD 8600SC Strip-Cut Paper Shredder is no longer available to buy.
We think you might like one of these instead:
Formax FD 8600SC Strip-Cut Paper Shredder
- Auto Start/Auto Stop: Optical sensor detects paper and starts operation automatically
- LED Control Panel with Load Indicator
- Door Safety Sensor: Motor stops automatically if cabinet door is opened
- Auto Reverse: In case of paper jam, built-in controls switch motor into reverse to clear jam
- Heat-treated steel cutters are specially ground for longevity and require minimal oil
- High Quality Geared Motor: Powerful, efficient AC geared-motor with heavy duty steel gears for high performance and minimal noise
- Extra-wide 16? feed opening
- All-Metal Cabinet with casters
- Auto Sensor: When the waste bin is full, the motor stops automatically
- Lifetime Guaranteed Heavy-Duty Waste Bin
- Auto Cleaning: If shred capacity is decreased, press reverse button for 5 seconds and motor will run in reverse for 1 minute
- Oil Indicator: After every 4 hours of use, the control panel LED fl ashes to suggest oiling cutting blades for optimal performance
- Self-Diagnosis System: Records operation time, number of auto-reverse sequences, volume of paper shredded, and can display information for service technicians
- Thermal Overload Protection
- Safety Circuit Breaker ensures safe operation
- Accepts staples, paper clips and credit cards
- Manual Function: Can be used when shredding small sized paper or films which can?t be detected by the sensor
- Optional EvenFlowTM Semi-Automatic Oiling System: Easy-to-use pump and copper nozzles keep the heat-treated steel blades in peak condition
- Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturer, Lifetime on Cutting Cylinders
- Cutting Style: Strip Cut
- Shred Size: 1/4?
- Sheet Capacity: 29 to 31
- Speed: 30 fpm
- Feed Opening: 16?
- Dimensions: 24? W x 20? D x 35? H
- Bin Capacity: 26 gal.
- Weight: 242 lbs.
- Security Level: Level 2
- Power Supply: 110V, 50/60 Hz
Formax FD 8600SC Strip – Cut Paper Shredder Review
The Formax FD 8600SC is a high volume shredder that is designed to meet the needs of a busy office with multiple users in a typical day. We recently took a look at the various features of this machine and compiled a list of the strengths and weaknesses of the FD 8600SC.
- The FD 8600SC is a powerful shredder that states the ability to shred up to 31 sheets at a time. Our testers found that it could operate at or near that capacity fairly easily, though it is important to note that your results will vary (as they would with any shredder) depending on such factors as the relative humidity where you live, paper stock weight, and the strength and quality of the power source in your office. It’s safe to say, however, that the FD8600SC is an impressively high volume shredder. Its motor operates at 30 feet per minute, and the cutting heads are made of heat treated solid steel and are lifetime guaranteed. Paper clips, staples, and credit cards proved easy fodder for the FD 8600SC, and the opening width of 16 inches is enough to handle all the most common sheet sizes, and some larger custom sizes as well, including computer printout paper.
- When it comes to centrally placed, multi-user machines, the more user friendly they are, the better. The FD 8600SC is a very simple and easy to use machine. Its soft-button LED control panel is a breeze to read and understand and can be used to put the shredder in automatic on/off, manual, or reverse (to help clear the cutters of collected debris). There is also a load indicator that will help prevent users from ever overfeeding the shredder by accident. Plus, lights will indicate to you when the waste bin needs emptying, or if the cabinet door is open.
- Safety is also a concern for a multi-user machine and we are impressed by the FD 8600SC’s array of safety features. First, the FD8600SC’s motor switches to reverse the instant a paper jam is detected keeping users from trying to place their hands hear the blades. The motor will also halt function automatically if the cabinet door is opened during operation or when the waste bin is too full for the machine to operate safely. The FD8600SC also contains a circuit breaker to prevent electrical problems.
- For such a powerful machine, the FD 8600SC is remarkably easy to maintain. The optional oiling system makes lubrication of the cutting heads as simple as lowering a handle, and the aforementioned reverse function helps keep the blades clear and operating at peak capacity. Perhaps best of all though is the FD 8600SC’s onboard system that records usage information that it can then relay to service technicians of you should ever have a problem with your machine.
- For all its power and capacity, the FD 8600SC is still only a level 2 strip cut shredder. This means that it is not a good choice for businesses that are hoping to become compliant with federal regulations mandating cross cut shredding for certain types of sensitive documents. If you need Level 3 Security shredding, you might want to take a look at the FD 8600CC, which is Formax’s cross cut version of the FD 8600SC, and offers nearly as high a capacity (28 sheets) as this machine.