MyBinding Knowledge Base
What should I know about Synthetic Paper?
Do you like the look, feel, and durability of lamination, but would rather not spend time laminating your documents? If so, then you should really consider using synthetic paper. This is a special type of paper that’s made out of polyester and there are many advantages to using it such as the following:
- Synthetic paper is waterproof and cannot be torn. It can withstand temperature changes quite well so you can use it for a variety of purposes.
- This type of paper is compatible with photocopiers, laser printers, and digital presses. (Note: it’s not recommended for use in ink-jet printers.)
- If you have a binding machine, you can punch synthetic paper to get the necessary hole pattern. You can produce holes for plastic comb, spiral, and twin-loop wire binding among other methods.
- Synthetic paper can help make your documents look great because the sheets are bright white. This will help both text and photographs stand out.
- This type of paper is coated with plastic on both sides so you can create double-sided documents.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)