MyBinding Knowledge Base
What should I look for in an electronic paper cutter?
There are many different varieties of cutting tools and probably the most powerful one is the electric paper cutter. These are devices that can cut hundreds of sheets at a time, making them perfect for heavy-duty use. If you’re in need of one, you need to know what to look for before purchasing it. Here’s what you need to look for….
- Width. The first thing you need to find out is the width of the blade. This will dictate the size of paper you can cut. You’ll want to choose a machine that has a wide enough blade to process different sizes of paper. After all, there’s nothing worse than buying a cutter and then realizing you can’t process a certain size of paper.
- Depth. If you plan on working with large sheets of paper, you’re going to want to choose a device with a roomy cutting table. This is not only so your materials will be supported, but so you end up with a machine that can cut where you need it to.
- Backstops. One feature you should definitely look for when selecting your cutter is an adjustable backstop. A backstop is essential if you want to get accurate cuts. Some devices have backstops that need to be manually adjusted. While this is better than nothing, you’ll get better results with a machine that will allow you to control the position of the backstop digitally. These devices are much more accurate than their manual counterparts and often allow you to control the backstop’s position down to a 100th of an inch. If you can afford a cutter with this feature, be sure to get it.
- Cutting capacity. A very important consideration is a machine’s cutting capacity. Generally, electric cutters can cut a great deal of paper at once with some devices capable of processing entire reams. You’ll want to think about how much paper you want to slice through at once and select a machine that can handle that amount.
- Safety features. It should go without saying that electric paper cutters can be very dangerous. Thus, selecting one with good safety features is essential. The machine should come with a shield to keep your hands away from the blade and there are some that require two-handed operation for even more safety. If you have a big enough budget, choosing a device with an optical eye is a great idea. The optical eye will be able to tell when there are hands too close to the blade and if that happens, it will cause the machine to shut down immediately.
- A good brand name and warranty. Something else you should be on a the lookout for is a good brand name. Ones to keep in mind include MBM, Challenge, and Standard. All three of these companies make high-quality products that will deliver the results you need. Finally, get a device with a good warranty so you’re not out of luck if you end up experiencing any problems.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)