MyBinding Knowledge Base
How to Print More Elaborate Titles With the Fastback P31?
This article describes how to print a more elaborate Binderstrip title on your Fastback strip using various zones and different orientations. In the article, we provide specific orientations and zones strictly for example’s sake. Feel free to use any zones or orientations you like. It’s your strip, so design it the way you want.
1. To enter a document title, press the ESC key several times until you see the Text Screen on the keyboard display.
2. Make sure you are in the middle zone by pressing the Middle Zone key
3. Now press the Landscape orientation key. (If you choose a different orientation, remember that for most books, only a few characters will fit in Portrait Orientation.)
4. Type a title (for example, your favorite color) on the first line and press ENTER.
5. Type another title (like your favorite food) on the second line. Your screen now might say something like, “Purple hamburgers.” Press ENTER. The keyboard display changes. Before we add more zones, let’s adjust the font type. NOTE: you can change the font type, size, and style at any point while designing your strip.
6. Press MENU.
7. Press 1 (SELECT FONT). Select a font. For example, Times.
8. Choose which zone(s) this change will affect. After confirming your choice, the printer returns to the Text Screen.
9. Since we want to add more zones, press the Bottom Zone key.
10. Press the Portrait orientation key. Because the bottom zone is empty.
11. Type in a word (for example, your first name) on the first line and press ENTER.
12. Type in another word (like your last name) on the second line and press ENTER. Before we print, we want to adjust the font style.
13. Press MENU.
14. Press 3 (FONT STYLE). Select a font style (for instance, Italic).
15. Choose which zone(s) this change will affect. After confirming your choice, the printer returns to the Text Screen.
16. Press the PRINT key. The screen will ask you how many sheets, inches or mm your book will be. Depending on the book width or number of sheets you enter, the printer determines the appropriate width Binderstrip you need.
17. So measure how wide your book is, or count how many sheets you’re binding. (If you have non-standard pages [thick covers, etc.], please measure the book and enter that thickness.) Using the M, I, and S keys, enter the book thickness in millimeters, inches, or number of sheets. Press ENTER. The PowisPrinter then determines the strip width suitable for your book.
18. After you have entered the book thickness, the keyboard display will ask you for the appropriate width of Binderstrip
19. Insert the Binderstrip into the Feed Entry (figure 2). Make sure that:
a. The strip is adhesive side up
b. The strip is fed straight into the machine
c. You are feeding only one strip (sometimes they stick together in the box)
d. The binderstrip width matches the width the printer has requested
e. The Fastback Strip is clean and no fragments are attached
20. Once you’ve inserted the Binderstrip correctly, the PowisPrinter will print on it and eject it so that it’s ready for binding.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)