MyBinding Knowledge Base
What types of strips are available for Fastback binding machines?
If you have a Powis Parker Fastback binding machine or are considering buying one you might have some questions about the different types of binding strips that are offered. This article is designed to give you a quick overview of the different Fastback Binding Strips that are available and what they are used for.
- Fastback Super Strips are the most common type of Fastback binding strips and are used by the Powis Parker Fastback Model 11 and 15xs. These strips are available in a large number of colors and in three different thicknesses (narrow, medium and wide). Fastback Super Strips have a fast binding time, which is approximately 17 seconds with the new 15xs CP upgrade.
- Fastback Speed Strips were originally designed for customers who needed a faster binding time than was available from Fastback Super Strips. With new upgrades, Fastback Super Strips now bind much faster than they used to, which means that Powis Parker will be discontinuing the Speed Strip.
- Fastback Composition strips have a leatherette finish that is designed to match the coloration and look of Fastback Composition Covers. These elegant binding strips are available in narrow, medium and wide and are available in black, dark gray, white, dark blue, dark green, red and maroon.
- Fastback Perfectback Strips are designed to allow users to do short run perfect binding using their Fastback Machine. Fastback Perfectback strips are available in several different varieties including Lay Flat (LF), Pressure Sensitive (PS) and Thermally Activated (TA). Fastback Perfectback LF strips are designed for a flexible lay flat perfect bind. Fastback Perfectback PS strips are designed with a peel of liner for a two step perfect binding process. Fastback Perfectback TS strips are designed to attach books into their perfect binding covers using the same type of thermally activated glue used to bind the pages together.
- Fastback CP Strips are some of the newest strips available on the market and are designed to bind difficult-to-use paper stocks such as laser print or color copier paper. These strips use an extra long bind time (approximately 50 seconds) to bind documents that cannot be bound with other types of Fastback strips.
- Fastback LX Strips are designed for use with the Fastback 8x binding machine. These strips are available in narrow and medium widths and in a number of finishes including a linen finish (similar to the Fastback Super Strips), a composition finish and in perfectback configurations. Fastback also makes an LX-Photobook strip which is designed for use as part of the Fastback Studio Photobook Binding System. The Fastback model 8x will only work with LX strips and is not compatible with any of the other types of strips that Powis Parker makes.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)