MyBinding Knowledge Base
How do I bind Half-Sized Documents?
Working with paper that’s half sized can be tricky and yet many organizations prefer this size for their training manuals and documentation. Well, guess what, you can bind smaller documents using the exact same materials and machines that you use to create regular sized documents. You just need to make sure the materials are the right size and that your binding machine is up to the task. Read on for more details.
1.) First, make sure your binding machine can punch holes on the long side of an half size sheet of paper. You may need to adjust the pins on your machine to do this. This is a vital step because if there are too many (or not enough) dies punching your paper, you will end up with half a hole on the edge of your paper. If your machine lacks releasable punching pins, you may need to seek out a different machine.
2.) Now that you know if your machine is capable of handling this size of paper, you’ll need to get binding spines that are eight and a half inches in length. That is not always as easy. Here are some hints for finding the supplies that you need:
- Twelve-inch color coil elements can be cut to measure nine inches. This is the ideal length for half-letter sized documents. However, you will need to be careful during the crimping process (you will only have an extra 1/2″ to work with instead of the standard 1″). If you don’t want to spend a huge ammount of time cutting coils, you can order them in 9″ lengths to save time and reduce waste.
- Plastic combs are available in lengths for half letter sized binding. This might be a good choice for your project. These spines have 15-rings instead of the standard nineteen used for eleven inch documents.
- As with the spiral coil, twin-loop wire spines can be cut down to the needed length. You can use a pair of very small wire cutters to achieve this. However, this can be difficult and you may want to consider ordering spines that are pre-cut to the correct length for your documents.
- GBC Proclick & Zipbind spines can be cut down for half sized binding. You can also order these spines in half letter lengths to save time.
- Finally, Velobind strips are available in a 8.5″ length. These strips can be used with Velobind Systems One, Two, and Three.
4.) From here, binding your half-letter sized document is the same as binding any other document. Be sure to follow your machine’s instruction manual and stay safe as you work.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)