MyBinding Knowledge Base
How should I cut my laminated documents?
One of the most versatile cutting tools available is the rotary trimmer. It’s the perfect thing to use when you need to cut a perfectly straight line to produce professional-looking work. Here’s a short introduction to rotary trimmers so you can choose one that’s right for you.
- Rotary trimmers come in a variety of lengths so there are devices for both large and small projects. The cutting length is something you need to think about before getting one. A lot of the available cutters can usually paper that’s 8.5” x 11” and smaller which is fine for a lot of trimming jobs. However, if you regularly deal with larger sheets of paper (such as ones that are 8.5” x 14” or 11” x 17”), you’re going to need a cutter that can handle them. So be sure to keep length in mind.
- It’s important to realize that rotary trimmers aren’t really the best tools for cutting a large amount ofpaper at once. If you need to work with dozens – or even hundreds – of sheets at one time, you’re better off with a guillotine or stack cutter. That said, rotary trimmers have cutting capacities that vary quite a bit. Some of them can only slice through a couple of sheets per pass while others can handle up to 30.
- Some of these cutters have blades that are strong enough to trim materials other than paper. These are trimmers that can handle cardstock, foam board, laminating film, vinyl, and even fabric and leather. Devices that can cut a variety of materials can be very handy but they’re often a bit expensive. However, one can be a good investment if you want a durable, all-in-one cutter.
- If you’re interested in crafting or other creative endeavors, it might be a good idea to get a cutter with interchangeable blades. There are blades that can create wavy edges as well as ones that can perforate and score your paper. These devices are great to have around for scrapbooking, making greeting cards, and so on.
- One of the most important things to look for in a rotary trimmer is that it’s safe to use. Luckily, most of the cutters available have been designed with safety in mind so it’s easy to find one that you’ll feel comfortable using. Be sure to look for one that has an encased blade. The casing greatly reduces the chance of inadvertently touching the blade so you’ll stay safe.
- Finally, whichever trimmer you choose should be well-constructed and have a good warranty so you can get as much use as possible out of it. It should also have a paper clamp to keep your materials in place when you cut them as well as a measurement grid. These features will help you do a great job every time – and save money over the long run.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)