MyBinding Knowledge Base
What should I know about Komtrak Binding?
If you have a standard 19-hole plastic comb binding punch, and have grown weary of creating documents with the same old look, you’ve come to the right place. Here, we are going to tell you all about Komtrak Inspiral, a new system that increases the elegance, ruggedness, and “edit-ability” of your documents while enabling you to keep using the plastic comb binding punch that you already have on hand – or that your local printer certainly does, anyway. Here are a few of the great things about the Inspiral system.
- Attractive. Komtrak Inspiral binding combs give your documents and booklets a stylish and contemporary look. Resembling spiral coil more than plastic comb spines, Komtrak Inspiral uses wide ring plastic coils that provide a look and feel that is unique and elegant, and there are a wide variety of covers available in may colors and textures to match your logo, or simply use a clear cover to let your artwork shine through. All covers are sturdy and waterproof with ample overhangs and attractive, rounded corners.
- Versatile. Whether you are creating a permanent book, or one that you want to be able to edit from time to time, the Komtrak Inspiral is just the system for you. Editing books that are created in the plastic comb style can be rather time consuming to remove and add pages to, but the unique clasp that the Komtrak Inspiral system uses makes editing a breeze. One of the ends of the spine is permanently crimped, while the at the other end, the aforementioned clasp can be removed whenever you need to add or remove pages.
- Multimedia Capable. With the Komtrak Inspiral system, you can use any kind of paper you wish, side by side, and change and arrange as you see fit, whenever you like. Any kind of paper can be used, from watercolor paper to photo mounting, to dry media, and good old pen and ink paper. Use the Komtrak Inspiral to create for yourself, your students, or your customers the ultimate journal, ready to accept any sort of creative burst at any time.
- Refill and Reuse. By using Komtrak pre-punched refills, you can be green and save yourself some green at the same time. Costing much less that a whole new book, you can put your old pages aside while using your Komtrak Inspiral spine again and again, or create for yourself a “best-of” collection of your finest work. The Komtrak Inspiral is great for portfolios, because you can change and update it at any time, and with minimal effort.
- Easy to Use. Booklets that are created using Inspiral spines open to a full 360 degrees, wrap around completely, and lie flat, all of which makes them extremely easy to use and work with. They take up less space on a desk and are perfect for working in the field as well.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)