MyBinding Knowledge Base
How should I care for my paper folder?
Like any other piece of equipment, a paper folding machine requires regular maintenance and cleaning. In order to keep your paper folder in excellent condition, you need to make sure that you maintain it. Here are seven tips for maintaining your paper folder or paper folding machine:
- Before cleaning your paper folding machine, be sure to turn the power off and unplug the power cord from the outlet. If the unit is not unplugged from the wall, it can be extremely dangerous. Whenever using a paper folding machine it is essential to ensure that clothing, fingers and jewelry are kept away from the moving parts.
- When the unit is not in use, put the machine cover in place to prevent dust, paper particles, etc. from accumulating on the fold rollers. When dust accumulates on the fold rollers the paper will not feed as efficiently often leading to paper jams
- If paper particles, dust, ink, etc. accumulate on the fold rollers; it may cause the paper to fold improperly. Clean the rollers periodically to prevent this occurrence. The best way to clean the fold rollers is to use a gentle solution of soap and water to wipe down the rollers and remove any dust or debris from the rollers. This may require removing the paper rollers from the folding machine. However, some paper folders are designed to allow users to remove the rollers and others are not. If you machine is not designed to allow easy removal of the rollers (without tools) it is best not to remove the rollers.
- If paper particles, dust, ink, etc. accumulate on either the paper feed rubber roller or the paper separator, paper feed performance deteriorates, causing paper to slip and possibly jam. Clean the rubber roller and separator periodically to prevent this occurrence. Again, the use of soap and water is the simplest way to accomplish this.
- Periodically clean the paper feed tires to prevent marking.
- Consumable products include: Paper feed rubber roller, rubber brake, and paper feed separator. After considerable use these parts will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. You will know that the rollers need to be replaced when they become cracked and look worn or when they become worn smooth and are no longer efficient in grabbing paper (after they have been cleaned).
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire? Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose. What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them. One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter. If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)