MyBinding Knowledge Base
What should I know about Reinforced Paper?
Are you looking to save time and use paper that’s durable enough for regular handling? If so, you should consider using reinforced paper. These are the things it has to offer:
- Reinforced paper is simply regular paper that has a 9/16” polyester strip down one side. This strip makes the paper perfect for use in three-ring binders and bound documents because the polyester makes it difficult for the pages to be accidentally torn out.
- This paper is available in various sizes. Letter-sized sheets are available as well as ones that are tabloid-sized. The sheets are hole-punched to help you save time.
- Despite having reinforced edges, this paper is completely flat so it’s easy to use and it won’t take up extra room.
- Reinforced paper can be used in a variety of office machines including photocopiers, digital presses, and both ink-jet and laser printers. No special equipment is needed to use these sheets.
- Finally, reinforced paper is available by the box so you can always keep a good supply on-hand.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)