Rhin-O-Tuff Onyx HD4170 Electric 12" Coil Inserter - Open Box
- Dual 12" powered rollers with an additional lower roller for easy and accurate coil insertion
- Book thickness gauge
- Coil sizing gauge
- Amazing rubber formula able to grip and grab the coil for better results
- Ability to be attached on all vertical OD and HD Series Machines or it can be used by itself as the Production Coil Inserter
- Crimping pliers and crimping pliers holder
- Made in the USA with more than 98% recyclable materials
- Model: Hd4170 ONYX
- Roller Size: 12" (305mm)
- Weight: 35 lbs
- Volts: 115ac (60hz)
- Machine Dimensions: 5" x 17 1/2" x 10" (H x W x D)
- Warranty: Three Year Manufacturer Warranty
And likewise, the Onyx HDe4100 does the same thing, sets right on top. Either machine can be used as a standalone with another system or another ... Read More
And likewise, the Onyx HDe4100 does the same thing, sets right on top. Either machine can be used as a standalone with another system or another operator. Just another example of the Rhin-O-Tuff Onyx series at work. For more demos, reviews, and how-tos, check out MyBinding.com.
Rhino Tuff HD4170 Coil Inserter Review
A production quality spiral coil inserter, the HD4170 is designed to work alongside Rhino's heavy duty modular binding punches. It can, in fact, be bolted on to the top of most of Rhino's HD and OD series binding punches, making it a convenient and space-saving option if you already own one of those machines. Let's take a closer look now at some of the pros and cons of the Rhino Tuff HD 4170.
- The HD4170 has very high quality rollers. One roller grips the coil, and a second smooth black roller to keep it on track. It is a similar design to that of such machines as the GBC CC2700, which retails for far more than the HD4170.
- The bottom roller is adjustable, meaning that you can move the rollers closer together on smaller sized projects, or farther apart on larger ones. Thus, Rhin-o-Tuff is able to make the claim that the HD4170 can be used with all sizes and pitches of spiral coil on the market.
- The HD-4170 not only comes with crimping pliers included, it has a handy holder so they won't get lost. This is a simple but very helpful feature, as you well know if you've ever been stuck searching for crimpers to finish your documents with spiral coils.
- As we mentioned above, the Rhin-o-Roll HD 4170 can be clamped to the top of many of Rhino's binding punches, or it also works as a standalone inserter, which enables you to have the speed and flexibility of assembly-line type production.
- Although the claim is that the HD4170 can effectively use any pitch and diameter of coil, we found that this may not always be the case. While perhaps binding some of the larger sizes is possible, we wouldn't call it practical. At times the coil tends to catch itself on the edges of the sheets, and just flat out makes a mess. Using an oval hole punch can help, but it still increases the level of difficulty.
- The process of attaching this machine to your Rhino binding punch is not as easy as it perhaps could be. In fact a special kit is required in order to do it. The process took us a good forty minutes, and as such, it may not be a good idea to attach it at all if you plan on using often as a standalone unit. It also should be noted here that the HD4170 will only attach to Rhino's vertical binding punch machines, and not the horizontal models.
If you already are an owner and user of one of Rhino's binding punch machines, the HD4170 is, of course, the perfect choice. Even if you are not, you will find that it is a highly durable and versatile machine, well-suited for high-volume production environments. The dual adjustable roller system is ingenious, and the rollers are of the highest quality. The use of extremely large coils may not be a real possibility, but overall this is a fine machine, one of the best on the market, and definitely worthy of your consideration.