- Cutting: Powered by a 1-1/2 HP gear drive motor
- Manual Clamping: The hand wheel design provides a strong clamping force resulting in high quality cuts.
- Manual Backgauge Control: Hand Wheel Control
- LED Digital Backgauge Position Indicator: With +/-0.01" (+/-0.1mm) backgauge accuracy - provides for easier operator interface, higher productivity, and easier repeatable accuracy than a hard to read indicator on a scale as is used with other brands.
- Laser Red LED Cut Line Light: produces a bright easy to see cut line.
- Safe: two-hand push button controls and front and rear table safety shields.
- Auto-Releasing Front Safety Shield: automatically pops open after each cut cycle is completed. This unique benefit eliminates the need for the operator to manually lift the front shield in order to retrieve or adjust the stock after a cut providing increased productivity and operator ease-of-use.
- Durable: Heavy-Duty steel, cast iron, and cast aluminum construction gives the cutter "Challenge" durability.
- Maintenance Free: the LED cut-line light and UHMW Gibs result in the SPARTAN 185 being virtually maintenance-free with lifetime durability. UHMW Gibs on front and back of knife bar require zero maintenance and have lifetime durability. It also eliminates lubricant on knife bar that can spoil stock.
- Included: 1 stand, 2 high speed steel knives, 3 plastic cutting sticks, 1 jogging aid, 1 tool kit, 1 operations manual, and 1 knife change safety holder assembly.
- Cutting Width: 18-1/2" / 47cm
- Clamp Opening: 3" / 7.6 cm
- Minimum Cut: 1" / 2.5 cm
- Maximum Cut: 17-1/2" / 44.5 cm
- Table Space In Front of Knife: 13" / 33 cm
- Overall Height: 52-3/4" / 134 cm
- Overall Width: 32-1/4" / 82 cm
- Overall Length: 41" / 104 cm
- Shipping Weight (approximate): 707 lbs. / 321 kg
- Electrical: 120 Volt AC, Single Phase, 60 Hz, Service Size: 20Amps
- Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
A Review of Challenge's Spartan 185SA Semi-Automatic Paper Cutter
Selecting the right electric paper cutter is easy when you know what to look for. One of the devices that's definitely worth your consideration is the Spartan 185SA from Challenge. This is a high-quality device that's perfect for heavy-duty use. Here's a look at what it can do....
- The 185SA has a pretty good cutting capacity. This device, which has a 1.5-horsepower motor, can slice through up to 3 inches of paper, which is well over 500 sheets. There are 500 sheets in a ream, so that gives you some idea of how powerful this device is.
- This machine can process paper that's up to 18.5” wide. Thus, you'll be able to work with letter-, legal-, and tabloid-sized sheets. There's a lot of space surrounding the blade so it's easy to cut those large sheets. You can also cut smaller ones, of course.
- The 185SA has a digital backgauge position indicator that's incredibly accurate. To change the position of the backgauge, all you need to do is turn the hand-wheel located at the front of the device.
- To ensure you cut right where you need to, this cutter is equipped with a LED cutting light. This line is red so you'll be able to see where your paper is going to be cut. If it's not in the right position, you can then realign it for your desired cut.
- Using the 185SA is a safe experience thanks to a couple of features. First, you must use both hands when operating it so there's less of a chance of you getting injured. Also, there's a safety shield on the front to keep your hands away from the blade when you're not operating it.
- This is one of the most durable trimmers around because it's made out of such high-quality materials as cast iron and aluminum. Also, this machine is pretty much maintenance-free so you can spend your time doing other things.
- The 185SA is a pretty hefty device so it might not be a good fit for all workplaces. Its dimensions are 52.75” (height) x 32.25” (width) x 41” (depth) and it weighs 700 pounds. This machine comes with a stand that's equipped with casters to make moving it around less of a chore.
- This cutter is a bit pricey, but it's definitely worth the money. It comes with a one-year warranty just in case it turns out to be defective.
The Challenge Spartan 185SA is definitely a high-quality paper cutter. This machine has a very impressive cutting capacity and it can work with large sheets of paper, so it's perfect for heavy-duty use. You'll find it super easy to get an accurate cut thanks to this device's backgauge position indicator and LED cutting line. Using this machine is really safe so you can have a worry-free work experience. And, perhaps best of all, this cutter is incredibly durable so you'll be able to get a lot of use out of it. So if you're looking for a heavy-duty electric paper cutter, the 185SA is a fantastic choice.
You Save: 10%