MyBinding Knowledge Base
What is the difference between different types of poly covers?
Sometimes there are so many different options in binding covers that it can be difficult to know what cover might be best for you. This article is designed to help you understand the different options available in Poly Binding covers, their thicknesses, patterns and available colors. Many users prefer plastic covers over paper covers because poly is waterproof, impossible to tear, heat resistant, stain resistant and incredibly durable. Here is a quick overview of the poly covers available:
- Sand embossed poly covers are 12mil covers with a fine sand like finish on one side. They are packaged in 100 count packs and are some of the most economical plastic binding covers available on the market . Sand poly covers are available in a number of different colors including Matte (Frost), Black, Dark Green, Navy, Maroon and Transparent Green.
- Stripe embossed poly covers are 12mil thick binding covers with a diagonal embossed stripe pattern on them giving them texture and an elegant feel. They are all translucent or transparent allowing you to see your title page through the cover and are packaged in 100 count packs. Stripe Embossed Poly Covers and are available in Transparent Blue, Clear, Transparent Green, Transparent Smoke, Transparent Maroon, and Transparent Aqua.
- Leather grain embossed poly covers are 16mil thick binding covers with an embossed leather grain texture for the look of leather with the strength and durability of poly. They are available primarily in opaque colors with the exception of frosted matte leather grain poly. They are packaged in 50 count packs leather grain poly covers are available in Black, Navy, Maroon, Dark Green, Blue, Dark Gray, and Clear (Matte).
- Crystal Embossed poly binding covers are 16mil thick with an embossed diamond plate pattern. They are popular with contractors, house inspectors and construction companies. They are packaged in 50 count packs and are available in four transparent colors including: Clear, Blue, Red, and Smoke.
- Holographic 3D Poly binding covers are 16 or 19mil thick and have a unique shimmering holographic pattern embedded in the covers. They really help to catch the attention of your customers and make your reports and documents stand out. They are packaged in 50 count packs and are available in five translucent colors including: Smoke, Clear, Blue, Green and Mint.
- Frost Poly covers are made from a 14mil poly material with a finish that has a very fine embossed texture (more smooth than sand embossed poly covers). These premium poly covers are available from GBC in a few different sizes including letter, oversize and index allowance.
- GBC Gels Poly covers are made from a 14mil poly material with a finish similar to their frost poly covers. However, GBC Gels covers are available in three designer colors including sage green, steel blue and plum (Amber Gels covers have been discontinued).
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire? Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose. What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them. One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter. If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)