MyBinding Knowledge Base
Printing Comp Covers With the Fastback P21x in Windows
Using the Powis Parker Fastback P21x foilfast printer you can quickly and easily customize composition covers with beautiful foil designs, logos and titles. Composition covers are also known as Comp Covers, Regency Covers or Leatherette covers and have a wonderful kidskin leather embossed pattern on them. This article will provide you with instructions for printing on comp covers from programs within windows. However, if you are using Adobe programs the instructions are slightly different. Instructions for printing with Adobe Illustrator, Indesign or Photoshop will be addressed in another article.
You might want to remember that when printing in single color mode, the colors that appear in you artwork do not matter. All artwork will print in the chosen foil color. If, for instance, you have created your artwork in black, but you choose red foil to print, all artwork will appear in red instead of black. If you have used more than one color in your artwork, all colors will print in the specified color when single color printing is chosen. The FoilFast
Single Color Printing:
1. After you have prepared your artwork and are ready to print it, choose the Print command from the file menu. The main Print dialog box should appear.
2. In the Printer Name selection menu, choose the Foilfast printer and click ‘Properties.’ The Properties dialog box appears. Verify that “Foilfast Comp Cover-HIGH” is selected in the Media Type box, and that “Single Ink” is chosen in the Print Mode. For Comp covers printing in single color Gold foil, the default settings should need no adjustment. If you are printing in a color other than Gold, Click on the button next to the desired color under ‘Select Cartridge(s).’
3. Click ‘OK.’ The Print dialog box should appear.
4. Verify that the paper size matches the setting in the Properties dialog box. Adjust the number of copies as required.
5. Load paper into the paper feed. If you are using Comp cover, you may load up to ten sheets at a time in the paper feed. Clear Cover and Fastback Title sheets should be loaded one at a time to avoid jamming.
6. Click ‘Print.’
Multiple Color Printing:
1. Choose Print from File menu. The main Print dialog box appears
2. In the Printer Name selection menu, choose the Foilfast printer and click ‘Properties.’ The Print Properties dialog box appears. Verify that “Foilfast Comp Cover-HIGH” is selected in the Media Type box.
3. Select “Multiple Colors” in the Print Mode.
4. Click on the buttons next to the desired colors under ‘Select Cartridge(s)’
5. Click ‘OK.’
6. Verify that the paper size matches the setting in the Printing Preferences dialog box. Adjust the number of copies as required.
7. Load paper into the paper feed.
8. Click ‘Print.’
Using these simple instructions you should be able to print your logo, title or graphics in high quality foil onto a composition cover. However, keep in mind that there are many other settings that you can change within the drivers for the P21x. Try different combinations and settings to see which results in the best quality print.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)