MyBinding Knowledge Base
How do I bind documents without a binding machine?
One of the best ways to look professional is to bind your documents. This does, however, usually entail using some sort of binding machine (i.e. plastic comb, wire, coil, thermal, fastback) and this type of equipment can be expensive. Luckily, there are some ways to bind your documents without the aid of a machine. Here are some options:
- Screw posts. If you have access to a three-hole punch, you can use screw posts. Screw posts are metal posts that you can thread through the holes in your documents. Once the posts have been inserted, you can secure them and you’ll have a bound document in your hands in no time. Screw posts are available in lengths up to 5″. Large screw posts can be perfect for thick documents.
- Report covers. If you’re in a hurry but still need to make your documents look presentable, report covers are a great choice. It’s fast and easy- just place your document inside the cover and slide the plastic bar into place. Report covers are affordable and can be used for shorter documents.
- Staples. While staples might not be the most sophisticated supplies around, they can be handy and they can fasten your documents in a snap. Just about everyone has access to a stapler, so don’t be afraid to use it if you’re working under a deadline.
- Binders. Three-ring binders are perfect for organizing and storing documents. Binders can be helpful for meetings and presentations. Clear overlay binders give you the option to make customized title pages and can make your work look professional and well rounded.
- GBC ProClick spines. If you want your work to look like you used a binding machine, check out GBC ProClick spines. ProClick spines can be used with pre-punched paper so you don’t need any supplementary equipment. They are also available in four different colors (black, navy, white and frost) and can bind documents up to 125 pages long. The spines can be opened up more than once so you can always add or edit your work. If you only have a couple of documents to bind, you can get a Do-It-Yourself Presentation Kit that has everything you need in one convenient package.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)