MyBinding Knowledge Base
What should I know about Preprinted Index Tabs?
Do you have a notebook full of disorganized pages? Or have an upcoming presentation but not enough time to print your own tabs? A solution for you may be Preprinted Index Dividers. These tab dividers are a great way to organize reports, proposals, and presentation materials in a timely manner. They are commonly called legal tabs, exhibit tabs, month tabs, or letter tabs. Here is an introduction to the many options that are available.
- “Instant Index” Tabs. These provide a quick way to add an index system to any document. A Table of Contents page is followed by either five or eight pre-numbered tabs. The sections of the table of contents match up to each tab. Simply type your various titles on the copy master and photocopy onto the tabbed sheet. These tabs come in styles compatible with laser printers, inkjet printers, even typewriters, and are unpunched.
- Roman Numeral Tabs. These 1/5 cut tabs come numbered I through V or VI through X. The I through V set also comes with a table of contents tab. Roman numeral tabs are unpunched for use with a variety of binding systems or a three ring binder. Gray Mylar tabs are imprinted with black writing for a professional look.
- Alphabet Tabs. Alphabet tabs come in a 1/10 cut and are sold in two different sets. The first set includes letters A through J as well as a table of contents. The second has individual tabs for K through Z, without grouping any letters together as is often seen with XYZ. These are also unpunched and come in 90lb white index stock. The tabs themselves are gray Mylar with black letters.
- Month Index Tabs. Another commonly used tab divider, Month Index Tabs are precisely what they sound like: a single tab for each month. These come in a 1/12 cut, so each month is displayed in a single row for easy accessibility. As with the rest of the tabs listed, these are unpunched and printed on 90lb index stock. Black printing on gray Mylar tabs is standard.
- Custom Index Tabs. Even with the wide selection listed here, there may not be a tab for everyone. In this case, consider ordering your own. Custom Index Tabs provide a wider variety for you to choose from. You’ll be able to further personalize your documents. And each section can be labeled as you like, without having to choose from pre-determined wording. With custom tabs, you’ll have more options with sizes, letters, colors, and more.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire? Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose. What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them. One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter. If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)