Challenge Handy-Drill Single Spindle Paper Drill
- 2-1/2" lift capacity in 4 different drill bit sizes (1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2"). Machine can be converted to a 2" maximum lift capacity for a wider range of available hole sizes (1/8" to 1/2").
- Safe to operate - Spindle motor automatically turns on when the pull-down lever is moved and automatically switches off when the lever returns to the up position.
- Conveniently located chip collector cups - Located around the spindle, they include a sight gauge to signify when the cups are full and need to be emptied. The cups also serve as safety covers with interlock switches. When removed to change the drill bit or to empty the paper chips, power to the motor is locked out until the cups are replaced.
- Adjustable backgauge stops - The backgauge includes 4 adjustable stops for drilling multiple hole pattern jobs. Just flip the switch and move your pile to the next setting.
- Adjustable Margins: Thumb screws easily lock the backguage to the drill table. To adjust the margins, simply loosen the screws and line-up the gauge with the dual scales located on the drill table. Hole locations can be drilled up to 2.5" margin from the edge of the paper.
- Included: (1) 1/4"/6.4 mm & (1) 5/16"/7.9 mm 2-1/2" hollow drill bits, (2) 1-1/2"/38 mm wood drilling blocks, (1) trip backgauge, (1) manual & (1) tool kit
- Drill Head Operation: Hand Lever
- Drill Bit Sizes Available:
(2" capacity): 13 sizes from 1/8" to 1/2" / 3 to 12.7 mm
(2-1/2" capacity): 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2" / 6.4, 7.9, 9.5, 12.7mm
- Lift Capacity: 2-1/2" / 6.4cm
- Minimum Distance Between Holes: 3/8" center to center / 9.5 mm
- Maximum Distance Drill To Side Guide: 9-7/8" / 25.1 cm
- Maximum Margin Hole Center To Sheet Edge: 2-1/2" / 6.4 cm
- Side Guide Trip: Manual
- Table Space: 18" x 19" / 46 x 48 cm
- Overall Height: 22-3/8" / 56.8 cm
- Overall Width: 24" / 61 cm
- Overall Length: 21.2" / 53.9 cm
- Warranty: 1-Year Parts Warranty (Supplies Excluded)
- Net Weight: 70 lbs / 32 kg
- Shipping Weight: 90 lbs / 41 kg
Challenge Handy-Drill Single Spindle Paper Drill Review
If you need to put holes in large amounts of paper and that trusty old hole punch isn't cutting it anymore, you need to get a paper drill. One that's worth considering is the Challenge Handy-Drill. This is a device that's safe to use and it can process up to 2.5 inches of paper at a time. Take a look at its strengths and weaknesses to see if it's right for you.
The Handy-Drill has the ability to put holes in 2.5 inches of paper. A typical 500-sheet ream is about 2 inches tall, so you'll be able to process hundreds of sheets at a time. Using this device will make it easy to process your paper very quickly.
This machine can handle drill bits of four different sizes: 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and 1/2". If you decide to only drill through 2 inches of paper you can use bits ranging in size from 1/8" to 1/2". This gives you a lot of flexibility.
One of the great things about the Handy-Drill is that it offers safe operation. The machine kicks on automatically when you pull the handle down and will shut off as soon as the spindle reverts to the "up" position. Also, the motor receives no power when the chip cup is removed. Both of these features greatly reduce the likelihood of an accident.
The Handy-Drill's backgauge has adjustable stops so you can produce multiple hole patterns. When you're done drilling one hole, just adjust the backgauge and then you can drill again. The margins can also be adjusted so you can control where exactly your sheets are punched.
This machine comes with a one-year warranty so you can have peace of mind.
Since this is a single spindle device, you'll probably find that it takes a while to put multiple holes in your stack of paper. That's because the machine can only drill one hole at a time. If you anticipate needing to produce sheets with multiple holes, you should get a machine with more than one spindle.
The Handy-Drill is slightly larger than the other compact drills on the market. Its approximate dimensions are 22" (height) x 24" (width) x 21" (length). It's also a bit heavier, weighing in at 70 pounds.
The Challenge Handy-Drill has a lot of great features and it would be a good choice if you're shopping for a single spindle drill. This machine has a fantastic drilling capacity and it will really help you process your paper quickly so long as your sheets don't require multiple holes. It's great that this device is compatible with drills of different sizes and that it's safe to use. (You should still use caution when operating it though, just to be safe.) Also, the fact that you can adjust the margins and backgauge will make it possible for you to put holes exactly where you need them. Since the Handy-Drill has so much to offer, you should really consider taking a look at it.