MyBinding Knowledge Base
How to Print a Quick Title With the PowisPrinter?
Although the Fastback P31 PowisPrinter can be used as a stand alone device, it is far more powerful when used with a computer and the PowisPrint software. The P31 attaches to your computer with a 9 pin serial cable and uses a special software program called PowisPrint. Using this software you can print elaborate designs on Narrow, Medium and Wide fastback strips. This article is designed to help you learn to both print and save your first Fastback strip with the P31 and your computer. There are eleven steps to follow…
1. Open the PowisPrint software by going to your Start menu. Select Programs, and locate PowisPrint.
2. When you open the software, a new Design Window automatically opens. The Design Window says “Design Window 1″ in its title bar, and opens with default settings, so you can immediately begin designing your strip.
3. Enter a word (for example, your name), using your computer keyboard.
4. Now go to the File menu and select Print, or click on the small printer icon in the main window.
5. The Print Window appears on your screen. Wait momentarily while the PC creates a communication link with the PowisPrinter. When the “Please wait” message disappears, the “Online” and “Ready” lights will turn green. For now, don’t worry about the rest of the Print Window contents. Simply click the “Print” button. A message appears at the top of the Print Window, telling you which width strip to insert.
6. Insert the correct width strip into the printer, adhesive side up. It’s very important that you insert the strip the proper way, to avoid damaging your printer. The strip is gently curved, as is the strip guide, to help you insert it properly.
7. While the PC is sending data to the printer, the green “Receiving Title” light blinks. When printing begins, the “Printing” light turns green. When the printer is finished printing, it ejects the strip from the PowisPrinter Feed Exit (below the purple chute).
8. To exit the Print Window, press the “OK” button.
9. Now save the title you just printed. Saving a title design is exactly like saving any other document. Select Save or Save As… from the File menu, or press the shortcut button with the small floppy disk icon on it. This opens a standard Windows dialog box.
10. Designate a destination for the file.
11. Use your name (for example) as the file name. Press “Save.” (Note the title extension for PowisPrint title designs is “ttl”)
These set of simple instructions will help you to print your first Fastback strip using the PowisPrint software. However, there are a huge number of great features included with the software that allow you to fully customize your printed strip. Play around with some of the other features and look for more articles on some of the more advanced functions of the PowisPrint software.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)