- Meets the requirements of NSA/CSS specification for Level 6 Security shredding.
- Shreds paper, CDs, DVDs, and credit cards safely.
- EvenFlow Internal AutoOiler automatically oils cutting blades as needed for long-lasting performance.
- LED control panel with digital load indicator.
- Compact design for under-desk operation.
- Auto Start/Stop for care-free use.
- Door Safety Sensor stops motor automatically if door is opened.
- Auto Reverse for paper jams quickly clears the jam.
- Continuous-duty motor for non-stop operation.
- Auto-Cleaning for increased performance and longevity.
- Thermal Overload Protection to ensure safe shredding.
- Cutting Style: Cross Cut
- Shred Size: 1/32" x 3/16" (paper) / 1/16" x 5/32" (optical media)
- Security Level: P-7 (Old Level 6)
- Sheet Capacity: 14 to 15 sheets (paper) / 1 disk (media)
- 1-Hour NSA Durability Test: 19 reams / feeding 8 sheets
- Speed: 23 fpm (paper) / 2,000 disks per hour (media)
- Feed Opening: 9-3/8" (paper) / 4-7/8" (media)
- Dimensions: 28" x 24" x 43" (WxDxH)
- Bin Capacity: 31 gallons (paper) / 18.5 (media)
- Power Supply: 110V, 50/60 Hz
- Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty on cutting head and all parts
- Weight: 319 lbs
- Part Number: FD8730HS
Formax FD 8730HS Level 6 Cross-Cut Paper and Optical Media Shredder Review
When you're shopping for a paper shredder, it's important to choose one that will give you a high amount of security. One machine that can do just that is the Formax FD 8730HS. This high-quality device is an excellent choice if you need to protect personal and proprietary information. Take a look at its strengths and weaknesses to determine if it's the right shredder for your workplace:
- This machine's primary strength is how much security it offers. This cross-cut shredder has a level 6 security rating, which is the highest possible rating. The machine's shreds will measure either 1/32" x 3/16" or 1/16" x 5/32" depending on what you're shredding. Also, the shredder meets the National Security Agency's specifications so you can be sure that your information will be protected.
- The FD 8730HS can shred paper, credit cards, CD's, and DVD's. There are separate feed openings for paper and multimedia items. The paper feed opening is just over 9" wide so you can shred letter- and legal-sized documents easily.
- This device is suitable for continuous use since it has a thermally protected motor that's unlikely to overheat. Also, the machine has a roomy waste bin that can hold up to 31 gallons of paper shreds. (If you're shredding multimedia items, the waste bin has an 18.5-gallon capacity.) This is also a great shredder to share with your colleagues. It's safe too, since the machine will stop running when you're emptying the bin.
- The FD 8730HS is easy to use thanks to a couple of key features. For one thing, the shredder can start running automatically. Also, there is an LED control panel and a digital load indicator to help you avoid shredding too much. There's also an auto reverse mode that will come in handy when there's a paper jam. Also, the machine has an automatic oiler that keeps the blades lubricated.
- This shredder is pretty durable so you will undoubtedly get a lot of use out of it. The machine is backed by a 1-year warranty.
- If you want a machine with a high shredding capacity, the FD 8730HS isn't the best machine to get. It can only shred 15 sheets of paper or one plastic item at a time. This may be disappointing but it's very common with high-security machines, unfortunately.
- This shredder is pretty large due to its dimensions of 28" (width) x 24" (depth) x 43" (height). You might want to get out the tape measure to find out if this device will fit in your workspace or not.
Overall, the Formax FD 8730HS is an excellent cross-cut shredder and it's definitely worth checking out if you need a high-security device. It's great that this shredder can destroy multimedia items in addition to paper and that it has a lot of user-friendly features to make operating it a snap. If the FD 8730HS sounds like the right shredder for your office, make sure you take a look at it today.
You Save: 78%
You Save: 54%
You Save: 61%
You Save: 52%
You Save: 66%