MyBinding Knowledge Base
What can I create using Comb Binding?
Plastic comb binding machines are very popular office devices because they offer a simple way of creating impressive-looking books. These machines are perfect for creating professional documents such as marketing proposals, brochures, and so on. However, comb binders can also be used for creative purposes and it can be handy to have one around if you’re a crafter, writer, or other creative type. Here are some things you put together with one of these machines….
- Self-published works. Have you written a novel or a collection of poems? Are you trying to put together an anthology? If so, a comb binding machine will give you the means to put together a book that will impress your friends and readers. Plastic combs can bind documents containing as few as 10 pages or as many as 425 so they’re perfect for long and short works.
- A photo album. Whether you’re deeply into photography or just want to put together a collection of family snapshots, you can create your own photo album with one of these document finishing devices. You can print the pages out on your color printer and then put the book together in just a few minutes. It’s quick and easy.
- Your own customized scrapbook. If you’re into scrapbooking, a comb binder is something you might use frequently. You can pick out your own covers and paper stock and then create your own scrapbook out of these supplies. This will enable you to use your right brain and allow you to create something of which you can be proud.
- Music books. Are you a songwriter and/or a musician? If you are, you can publish your own books of music and share them with friends, family, and fellow musicians. And if there are a lot of loose pages consisting of lyrics and musical notations around the house, a comb binder can help you put these sheets into a book so they’re better organized and all in one place.
- Coloring books. If you’re an artist or know some who is, you could create a coloring book for your favorite kid. Just gather up some line drawings and organize, punch, and bind them. It couldn’t be easier.
- School projects. Students can get a lot of use out of comb binders as they can be used for a variety of items including reports, literary anthologies, etc. Teachers are much more impressed by a bound documents than one that’s merely been stapled.
- Your own creation. Chances are you can come up with your own creative uses for a comb binding machine. Let your imagination run wild!
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)