Formax OnSite FD 8502SC Strip-Cut Paper Shredder
- Auto Start/Auto Stop: Optical sensor detects paper and starts operation automatically
- LED Control Panel with Load Indicator
- Door Safety Sensor: Motor stops automatically if cabinet door is opened
- Auto Reverse: In case of paper jam, built-in controls switch motor into reverse to clear jam
- Heat-treated steel cutters are specially ground for longevity and require minimal oil
- High Quality Geared Motor: Powerful, effi cient AC geared-motor with heavy duty steel gears for high performance and minimal noise
- Extra-wide 16" feed opening
- All-Metal Cabinet with casters
- Auto Sensor: When the waste bin is full, the motor stops automatically
- Lifetime Guaranteed Heavy-Duty Waste Bin
- Auto Cleaning: If shred capacity is decreased, press reverse button for 5 seconds and motor will run in reverse for 1 minute
- Oil Indicator: After every 4 hours of use, the control panel LED fl ashes to suggest oiling cutting blades for optimal performance
- Self-Diagnosis System: Records operation time, number of auto-reverse sequences, volume of paper shredded, and can display information for service technicians
- Thermal Overload Protection
- Safety Circuit Breaker ensures safe operation
- Accepts staples, paper clips and credit cards
- Manual Function: Can be used when shredding small sized paper or films which can't be detected by the sensor
- Optional EvenFlow Semi-Automatic Oiling System: Easy-to-use pump and copper nozzles keep the heat-treated steel blades in peak condition
- Cutting Style: Strip Cut
- Shred Size: 5/32"
- Security; Level 2
- Sheet Capacity: 20 to 22
- Speed: 33 fpm
- Feed Opening: 16"
- Dimensions: 24" W x 20" D x 35" H
- Bin Capacity: 26 gal.
- Weight: 242 lbs.
- Security Level: P-2 (Old Level 2)
- Power Supply: 110V, 50/60 Hz
- Lifetime limited warranty on cutting heads.
- 1-year warranty on all other parts.
Formax FD 8500SC Strip-Cut Paper Shredder Review
The Formax FD 8500SC is a central-office shredder that is designed to see use from multiple users during a typical day. Here is a close look at some of what we consider to be the strengths and weaknesses of the FD 8500SC.
The FD 8500SC is a powerhouse of a shredder, featuring an AC-gear motor running at a speed of 33 feet per minute. It claims to have a sheet capacity of 22 pages a pass, and our testers found that it met that mark with relative ease (you may or may not quite get the same results, depending on your power supply, the thickness of the paper you are shredding, and the relative humidity in your geographical region). The cutting heads of the FD 8500SC are made of high quality solid steel, and are under manufacturer's warranty for the life of the machine, which is something anyone can appreciate. We also liked that the feed opening is extra wide at 16 inches, and will handle the most common paper sizes, along with larger custom sizes such as green-bar computer paper.
We enjoyed the FD 8500SC's user-friendly control panel which gave us the choice of manual operation or a very handy "walk away" mode that uses electronic sensors to start and stop the machine. That means you can simply place your documents in the feed opening and go on about your business. The panel is easy to read and understand so there is never any confusion as to what the operational mode of the machines is at any given time. Perhaps the best feature of all, however, is the load indicator that helps the user prevent overfeeding the machine.
It's always important for a machine that is going to see use from a lot of different people that there be some safety features. We were impressed by what the FD 8500SC has to offer in that regard. There is automatic shut off if the feed bag is full or the bin door is open, and if there is an accidental paper overfeed, the motor switches into reverse mode automatically in order to prevent a paper jam. There's also a self-contained circuit breaker to prevent electrical system overload.
All shredders cutting heads need periodic oiling and the FD 8500SC is smart enough to let you know when to do it. You can even purchase the optional oiling system, which makes the process as simple lowering a pump handle. The FD 8500SC also features a self-cleaning mode, which runs the machine in reverse for a short time to clear the heads of collected paper shavings. Also making maintenance easier is the FD 8500SC's computer that records your usage info and can display it to service technicians.
The FD 8500SC is a powerful shredder, but it is important to note that it is, after all merely a level 2 strip cut machine, and thus does not offer you a very high level of document security. If you need a machine to shred documents containing information you consider confidential (and that is FACTA-compliant) you might want to check out Formax's FD 8500CC which offers similarly high capacity along with cross-cut shredding security.
Compare to Similar Shredders
|Model Name||Formax FD 8502SC||Formax FD 8402CC||Formax FD 8402SC||Formax FD 8502CC||Formax FD 8502AF||Formax FD 8602CC||Formax FD 8602SC||Formax FD 8652CC||Formax FD 8704CC|
|Cutting Type||Strip Cut||Cross Cut||Strip Cut||Cross Cut||Cross Cut||Cross Cut||Strip Cut||Cross Cut||Cross Cut|
|Shred Size||5/32"||5/32" x 1-1/5"||1/4"||5/32" x 1-1/5"||5/32" x 1-1/5"||5/32" x 1-1/5"||1/4"||5/32" x 1 19/32"||5/32" x 1-5/8"|
|Sheet Capacity|| 20 to 22 |
| 24 to 26 |
| 30 to 32 |
| 23 to 25 |
| Up to 175 sheets (AF) |
22 to 24 sheets (HF)
| 35 to 37 |
| 29 to 31 |
| Up to 32 |
| 40 to 45 |
|Speed||33 fpm||33 fpm||30 fpm||35 fpm||35 fpm||22 fpm||30 fpm||Up to 33 fpm||12 fpm|
|Dimensions (W x x H):||24" x 20" x 35"||20" x 20" x 34"||20" x 20" x 34"||24" x 20" x 35"||24" x 20" x 35"||24" x 20" x 35"||24" x 20" x 35"||28" x 24" x 43"||20" x 20" x 36"|
|Bin Capacity||33 gal||28 gal||28 gal||33 gal||26 gal||33 gal||33 gal||53 gal||28 gal|
|Security Level||Level 2||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)||Level 2||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)||Level 2||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)|
|Power Supply||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110-120V, 50/60 Hz|