Formax OnSite FD 8402SC Strip-Cut Level P-2 Paper Shredder
- Auto Start/Auto Stop: Optical sensor detects paper and starts operation automatically
- LED Control Panel with Load Indicator
- Door Safety Sensor: Motor stops automatically if cabinet door is opened
- Auto Reverse: In case of paper jam, built-in controls switch motor into reverse to clear jam
- Heat-Treated Steel Cutters: Specially ground for longevity and require minimal oiling
- High Quality Geared Motor: Powerful, effi cient AC geared-motor with heavy duty steel gears for high performance and minimal noise
- All-Metal Cabinet with casters
- Auto Sensor: When the waste bin is full, the motor stops automatically
- Lifetime Guaranteed Heavy-Duty Waste Bin
- Auto Cleaning: If shred capacity is decreased, press reverse button for 5 seconds and motor will run in reverse for 1 minute
- Oil Indicator: After every 4 hours of use, the control panel LED fl ashes to suggest oiling cutting blades for optimal performance
- Self-Diagnosis System: Records operation time, number of auto-reverse sequences, volume of paper shredded, and can display information for service technicians
- Thermal overload protection
- Safety Circuit Breaker ensures safe operation
- Accepts staples, paper clips and credit cards
- Manual Function: Can be used when shredding small sized paper or fi lms which can't be detected by the sensor
- EvenFlowTM Semi-Automatic Oiling System: Easy-to-use pump and copper nozzles keep the heat-treated steel blades in peak condition
- Cutting Style: Strip Cut
- Shred Size: 1/4"
- Sheet Capacity: 30 to 32
- Security Level: P-2 (Old Level 2)
- Speed: 30 fpm
- Feed Opening: 12.2"
- Dimensions: 20" W x 20" D x 34" H
- Bin Capacity: 28 gal.
- Weight: 176 lbs.
- Security Level: Level 2
- Power Supply: 110V, 50/60 Hz
- Manufacturer's Warranty:
- Lifetime limited Manufacturer's Warranty on cutting heads.
- 1-year Manufacturer's Warranty on all other parts.
Formax FD 8400SC Strip-Cut Paper Shredder Review
The Formax FD 8400SC gives the busy office some formidable shredding power and capacity. Here is a look at some of the various strengths and weaknesses of the FD 8400SC, along with some recommended sites where you can get more information.
The FD 8400SC appears to be a rather rough and ready machine, and company literature states that this shredder has a capacity of an impressive 30 sheets of paper per pass. We found that it did indeed operate at or around that level, but your mileage may vary (as the saying goes) depending on such factors as the strength of your electrical power supply, the weight of the paper you are shredding, and even the humidity where you live. The rugged, specially-geared motor runs at 30 feet per minute, and the solid steel cutting heads come with a lifetime warranty and handled paper clips, staples, and credit cards quite easily. We like that the 12 inch feed opening will accommodate the most common paper sizes, and the LED panel that makes this shredder a breeze to operate.
Keeping the FD 8400SC in peak operating form is also made easy with the many user self maintenance features. For starters, anytime you notice the machine's production level lagging, you can simply press the reverse button for 5 seconds and the machine will run in reverse for one minute, clearing the cutting heads of paper dust and particles that may have collected over time. Timing the oiling of the cutting heads is no longer a problem, as there is a light on the LED control panel that will let you know when it is time to lubricate the mechanism. This can be made easier still with the purchase of Formax's add on oiling system, which is pump operated and features copper nozzles that deliver a steady dose of oil, and are built to last a lifetime.
If the FD 8400SC ever needs a service call, there is a computer on board that makes note of such user statistics as overall operation time, the frequency that the auto reverse function has been engaged, and has the volume of paper that the shredder has processed and can display this information to your service technician.
The FD 8400SC comes with some rather nice safety features as well. There is a load indicator that warns of possible overfeeds, as well as an automatic reverse function that kicks in when a paper jam occurs. There's also automatic power cutoff when someone opens the cabinet door or when the waste receptacle is too full for the machine to safely operate, and this machine has its own circuit breaker to keep the shredder from overworking your electrical system.
The FD 8400SC is a powerful shredder, but you should be aware that it's a strip cut model which only offers a security level of 2. If you are looking for a higher security machine without sacrificing much of the capacity, you may want to take a look at the cross cut (level 3 security) version of this shredder, the Formax FD 8400CC.
Compare to Similar Shredders
|Model Name||Formax FD 8402SC||Formax FD 8402CC||Formax FD 8502CC||Formax FD 8502SC||Formax FD 8502AF||Formax FD 8602CC||Formax FD 8602SC||Formax FD 8652CC||Formax FD 8704CC|
|Cutting Type||Strip Cut||Cross Cut||Cross Cut||Strip Cut||Cross Cut||Cross Cut||Strip Cut||Cross Cut||Cross Cut|
|Shred Size||1/4"||5/32" x 1-1/5"||5/32" x 1-1/5"||5/32"||5/32" x 1-1/5"||5/32" x 1-1/5"||1/4"||5/32" x 1 19/32"||5/32" x 1-5/8"|
|Sheet Capacity|| 30 to 32
| 24 to 26
| 23 to 25
| 20 to 22
| Up to 175 sheets (AF)
22 to 24 sheets (HF)
| 35 to 37
| 29 to 31
| Up to 32
| 40 to 45
|Speed||30 fpm||33 fpm||35 fpm||33 fpm||35 fpm||22 fpm||30 fpm||Up to 33 fpm||12 fpm|
|Dimensions (W x x H):||20" x 20" x 34"||20" x 20" x 34"||24" x 20" x 35"||24" x 20" x 35"||24" x 20" x 35"||24" x 20" x 35"||24" x 20" x 35"||28" x 24" x 43"||20" x 20" x 36"|
|Bin Capacity||28 gal||28 gal||33 gal||33 gal||26 gal||33 gal||33 gal||53 gal||28 gal|
|Security Level||Level 2||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)||Level 2||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)||Level 2||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)||Level 3 (HIPAA Compliant)|
|Power Supply||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110V, 50/60 Hz||110-120V, 50/60 Hz|