MyBinding Knowledge Base
Why should I choose a Cardboard Shredder?
Businesses with large amounts of incoming and outgoing shipments often spend good money on recycling old packaging materials while purchasing new ones. This process can be streamlined with the investment of a cardboard shredder. Here is a look at how one of these machines could benefit you.
- Less storage needed. With a cardboard shredder, you can eliminate the extra trash bin needed to store old boxes before they’re picked up for recycling. Instead, you can immediately dispose of and re-purpose the waste.
- Increased security. Often personal information is printed on or affixed to a box for shipping. Usually this means your name and address but we’ve even seen phone numbers printed onto a pizza delivery box. While your phone number and address may not be extremely confidential information, you can’t be too careful these days. A cardboard shredder ensures your data stays safe.
- Versatile options. Even cardboard shredders don’t come in a “one size fits all” model. Smaller operations will appreciate tabletop models. These are compactly designed for easy use in a tight space. Larger floor models are also available. Both will effectively get the job done.
- No cutting required. Most machines will trim larger pieces of cardboard as they enter the machine, saving you the hassle of having to cut precise sizes before feeding the blades.
- Multi-functional. Most models can create either mesh cut or straight cut pallets. Either one will work well as packing material and straight cut pieces are great for creating animal bedding.
- Potential extra income. Did you know you can potentially sell your excess cardboard pallets to equestrian centers and stables? Finding a market for this will allow you to earn back the money you invest in the machine.
- Save money on recycling. Do you pay to have your recycling picked up every month? When you shred your corrugated boxes and use the material for packaging, you’ll spend less on pick up, especially if you pay by weight.
- Save money on packing materials. When you have a high volume of cardboard coming in and several shipments going out, it doesn’t make sense to pay for packing materials. Instead, you could make a one time investment in a cardboard shredder and then use the machine to convert unwanted boxes into much needed shipping materials. Even your most sensitive items will stay safe in the soft pallets.
- Environmentally friendly. Items used for packaging often include plastics, such as packing peanuts, styrofoam, and bubble wrap. All three will end up in a landfill, taking years to decompose. Using cardboard you already have reduces the need for environmentally black materials and breaks down much faster when discarded.
- Not just for cardboard. Most cardboard shredders can also handle old computer printouts and newspaper. While newspaper may not contain confidential information, shredded paper is often used for packing material.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)