MyBinding Knowledge Base
What should I know about ZipBind?
If you already have a comb binding machine or are considering purchasing one, you probably should know about GBC ZipBind. GBC ZipBind is a new type of binding strip designed by GBC to work in conjunction with your existing comb binding machine. These fashionable strips are designed to be recloseable so that documents, presentations and proposals can be edited on the fly. Plus, GBC ZipBind does not require an additional machine (other than your regular Comb Binding Machine) so it is a very reasonable alternative for giving your documents a different look and feel. Here is a quick list of five things you should know about GBC ZipBind:
- One of the best things about GBC ZipBind is that it works with the hole pattern that is punched by a plastic comb binding machine. Documents punched for use with GBC Zipbind will have 19 rectangular holes along their 11 inch edge. Currently, Zipbind is only available in 11” lengths. However, some users have discovered that ZipBind spines can be cut down to shorter lengths using a sharp pair of scissors.
- GBC ZipBind binding spines are specifically designed to be Recloseable. In fact, using the unique ZipBind zipper tool that is included in every pack of ZipBind Binding supplies binding has never been easier. Simply zip the spine of your document closed and then zip it open again. It only takes seconds.
- GBC ZipBind spines are currently only available in two sizes and two colors. GBC Zipbind spines are available in your choice of Black or Frost (a translucent clear spine). The two sizes available are 3/8” for documents up to 55 sheets and 1/2” for documents up to 85 sheets thick. Documents larger than this would need to be bound with traditional Comb Binding.
- A huge assortment of prepunched binding supplies are available for use with the GBC ZipBind binding style. In fact, it is possible to bind documents with GBC ZipBind and not even have a binding machine. Look for prepunched Comb Binding / Zip Binding Paper and prepunched ZipBind Binding Covers. Just make sure that the prepunched supplies that you purchase are punched with the 19 hole pattern used by Comb Binding and ZipBind.
- One of the main complaints that I hear from users about Plastic Comb Binding is that the books don’t allow for 360 degree rotation (you can take the page from the front and put it on the back). The wide back design of plastic combs doesn’t allow for this type of rotation. However, ZipBind binding supplies do not have this wide back and do allow for 360 degree rotation. This is a nice feature that is overlooked by many when considering GBC ZipBind.
< Over the years, a number of customers have asked me whether they can use twin loop wire with their plastic comb binding machine. These customers often don’t want to have to buy a brand new machine but like the look and feel of twin loop wire binding. However, the answer to their question isn’t as simple as it seems. You see, they actually do make twin loop wire that is designed to work with the plastic comb binding hole pattern. With that said, if you want to use these wires you are going to need a way to close the wires. What is Spiral-O Wire?Let me explain a little bit more…There is a product that we carry called Spiral-O Wire. This wire has 19 loops and is designed to work with the hole pattern from a plastic comb binding machine. Spiral-O Wire is sometimes called Wire Combs or Ibico Wire and was originally designed for use with some of the older Ibico binding machines. A number of the older Ibico plastic comb binding machines also included a twin loop wire closer on the front of them to allow users to use both plastic combs and wire. This 19 loop wire was designed for this purpose.What Equipment is Needed? As the Ibico brand has been phased out by GBC and all of the older Ibico plastic binding machines have been replaced with new models, they no longer have the twin loop wire closer on the front of them. This presents a problem in trying to use these spiral-o wires since you can’t use the wires without a way to close them.One of the only options left is to purchase a Twin Loop wire closer. However, since twin loop wire closers are not incredibly cheap this option usually only appeals to users who have larger electric plastic comb binding machines. Otherwise, it is often advisable to simply buy a low end 3:1 pitch twin loop wire binding machine (the supplies are cheaper). This being said, if you have one of the older Ibico binding machines that has a wire closer included you are in luck. The Spiral-O binding supplies that we carry will work perfectly with your machine and you will be able to use both plastic combs and wire depending on your needs. These Spiral-O binding supplies are available in Black, Silver, White, Blue and Red and in sizes up to 1″ in diameter.If you aren’t sure what type of wire binding supplies that you need to work with your machine simply give us a call. Our trained sales representatives will be glad to help you find the correct supplies for use with your machine.(Read More)